1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Year - New Career...?

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by vanzyl.stefan, Mar 11, 2009.

1. <font size="2">Hi everyone,</font> <font size="2">As with a lot of people in the UK, I too have been affected by the recession whereby I have lost my job & had to make a life changing decision...do I look for employment within the same industry, or do I pursue a career that is so rewarding that it is possible to have thought some of the future leaders of our country?</font>
    <font size="2">I don&rsquo;t see it just as a way out of being unemployed and trying something new, but as a career that is so diverse, challenging and rewarding & also a vocation that is used all over the world. After careful consideration and deliberation between my wife and I, we concluded that everything I have done previously has come down to this very moment to which I am about to embark.</font>
    <font size="2">My only concern is that neither of us knows how this will influence our lives, and who does, but we expect to experience some degree of worry during my RTP training & once qualified I am sure that it won&rsquo;t just ease off for a few years to come?! The only solution/option is to ask people with teaching experience and how they find the life of being a teacher and having a family at the same time. Our blessing at the moment is that we don&rsquo;t have any kids yet, but would like to start a family once my RTP training is complete. We are both totally committed to this and I have all the backing from my wife to pursue a new career in teaching. We are going to tackle this as a team and make the best of it and hopefully at the end, reap the rewards.</font>
    <font size="2">So I guess that what I am asking you at the end of the day is this: Is it worth it becoming a teacher and do the positives outweigh the negatives? Should I embark on this new challenge within this New Year?</font>

2. Hi. You may find it useful to post this in the Career clinic forum where Professor John Howson is on hand with expert advice.
    Go to the Career Clinic
    or the Thinking about teaching forum where Graham Holley of the TDA can advise you.
    Go to Thinking about teaching

3. Hi Blueboo
    Thanks for the advice. There has been some changes since I posted the query, but will go to the recommended forum.
    Cheers.