1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Year diets

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Johnny_Bluenote, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Johnny_Bluenote

Johnny_Bluenote Occasional commenter

Yes. I know, I know. They invariably end in failure. But I'm determined to try in this year ahead.

I am in my late fifties,male, 5' 8" and 13.5 stones. Any practical advice? I was very fit as a young man. My weight throughout my twenties remained constant at 10 stone.

jomaimai likes this.
  2. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

There used to be a weight-loss thread on Health and Wellbeing but I don't know if it's still there. perhaps you @Johnny_Bluenote could start one over there?

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Cut out sugar as much as possible... eat more fruit and veg... cut back on snacking in small stages [don't go cold turkey]... eat smaller portions of meals... cut back [but not completely] on carbohydrates... exercise more doing something you enjoy, not something you feel you should be doing.

Worked for me... although I happily admit I slipped at times... [I just had coffee with sugar in... supposed to have quit both]

rachelpaula008 likes this.
  5. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

A single glass of red wine with your evening meal and no other alcohol. Oh, eat a varied diet too. Less meat, more fish. I am 5'-10" and 12 stone give or take a pound.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well if we're fessing up... 5'11 and 78kg [sorry metric here]

I googled it ... 12.2stone.

7. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

The 5-2 worked for me, but Mr F and I did it together. I'm not sure I can go it alone this time. I'd like to get rid of a stone, or perhaps a bit more.

I felt fitter a few years ago when I went to the gym, until I put my back out and had to stop. Waste of 6 months membership which was annoying. So, smaller portion sizes, fewer carbs, am already cutting out sugar and some salt, more walking then. Easy! :eek:

8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Your a racing snake!

lanokia likes this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'd not heard that one [racing snake]... I like it though.

10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

A lot of gyms these days are pay-monthly.

11. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I'll be eating more sandwiches.

12. Johnny_Bluenote

Johnny_Bluenote Occasional commenter

Well, thank you all. So far no one has mention drinking lots water regularly and the efficacy of a slice of grapefruit before meals - two things I hear praised to the high heavens.

13. Vince_Ulam

1. In early January, have a physical with your G.P., tell them what you want to do and follow their advice before that of anyone else.
    2. Seriously cut down on sauces and gravies and move down to semi-skimmed milk. Eat smaller portions regularly and stay hydrated. Keep in your pantry things like bran flakes & honey, and also corned beef, chicken and peanut butter for sandwich snacks (assuming you're not allergic to peanuts). Use Tupperware.
    3. Establish a high-rep stretching regime before exercising and use it on rest days too.
    4. Gradually build up your running over the course of the year, even if you are beginning with walking. Aim to be running by the start of March, even if its short and slow. Regularity and pace are more important than frequency, speed and distance.
    5. Work your core with gently-loaded deadlifts. Spend several months becoming accustomed to the form of any exercise before thinking about loading any further.
    6. Don't look for fast changes in the tape measure or in the mirror, wait until April. The changes you want are those you will feel gradually, like better sleep, easier satiety, looser waistband, better digestion, easier exercise, stronger back, increased joint motility and better mood.

Good luck.

14. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

Agree with a lot of this.

I think the key is to be aware of your consumption and try and make small changes. I've found if I resist loading my trolley with snacks and treats I don't miss them when they're not in the cupboard calling to be eaten...

Don't deny yourself though, @Johnny_Bluenote as small changes could be effective in the long run.

15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I've 22kg on you, tens of years, tens of millimetres of mercury and inflammation of my cervical nerves which does not boost my desire to go to the Local Authority gym even though it's free.

16. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I'm back to Slimming World next Tuesday and back to walking at least 3 miles a day. I think if I worked my 'core with gently loaded dead lifts' (if I knew what that meant!) I'd have a heart attack.

17. Vince_Ulam

Further to post #12, if you experience any difficulties then consult your G.P. immediately.

18. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I've never been on a diet as I have a tendency to be underweight (not as great as it sounds actually) but I do need to tone up. Thankfully I'm back to the physio after the New Year so that will start the work on the core muscles.

19. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

I am going to need lots of help! I love cooking and eating.

My problem: after school I start buying a snack (sometime peanuts... ), then I get home and I have tea with something (we are going to have a late dinner) and then I have dinner and I eat like my teenage children.
    I used to be 52-54 kg and I have reached 65Kg![​IMG] [​IMG]

20. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Use a smaller dinner plate and do not have seconds.
    Drink water with all meals.
    Only do food shopping in the hour or so after having a meal so that you don't make impulse purchases based on hunger.

Memo to jubilee: follow your own advice!

lexus300, Vince_Ulam and jomaimai like this.