1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Year 7 Tutor group

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by bulky09, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Dear all,

I am gaining a new year 7 tutor group in September, and I was wondering if any one has any tips or pieces of advice to give me regarding this- e.g. activities to do with them, what information should let them know etc.

Thanks for any guidance

2. mpc

mpc

I work in a school with a vertical system now, but I usually set my Y7s some kind of quiz with questions about their new school. You can make it multiple choice if you want to be kind!

3. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

My advice in general is not to mollycoddle them if you can help it. Many of them will have a very babyish attitude and the quicker they grow up the better.
    This sounds awful but it works, I now have a fantastic relationship with my y7s and even the most childish ones in September now have a very mature approach to school. We are the top achieving form for behaviour, housepoints, attendance and report effort grades. I'll let you know about sports day next week [​IMG]
    Treat them like adults from the start and you'll reep the benefits later on.
    As for ice-breaker activities, I find that simply letting them sit in groups and talk to each other then visit each group in turn and guide their conversations so that they start to feel comfortable with each other. Once you find out a bit about everyone you can introduce them to each other subtley e.g. " Thats interesting, I was just talking to Jake about that. Hey Jake come here a minute, Matthew plays tennis too, do you know each other?"
    This is how adults introduce each other in social situations and is far more natural. We all know from insets that wooden "getting to know you" activities don't work.
    Just my thoughts.
    Pedro

4. I'm getting a new year 7 form in September too. I intend to have a routine, but will allow flexibility for when it's necessary. It seemed to work with my last form who have just left year 11. As they got older the routine changed and we had different activities for each day.
    I think in year 7 we had Monday - admin (signing planners, notices, etc), Tuesday - silent reading, Wed - Assembly, Thurs - citizenship, Fri - weekly quiz/chat. At some point I also managed to just talk to them and get to know them.
    I'm really looking forward to meeting mine too. I hope they're as nice as the last bunch I had.

5. Each half term my year 7 write down their favourite songs of the moment and then I play themon Friday afternoon once I've taken register. They love it.