1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Year 2 post

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by jak121, Aug 10, 2018.

1. jak121

jak121 New commenter

Hello all,

I have been lucky enough to land myself a full time permanent teaching post at a great local school. During my NQT year I did job shares in a year 4 and a year 5 class, so I never really felt that I had ‘my own class’.

This new post will be in year 2, where I have had some, but not lots, of experience.

Are there any tips that you could provide me with about approaches or strategies that you have used in year 2?

Also, what preparation have you done for a new year 2 class during the holidays, as I would really like to hit the ground running in September.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The obvious advice is .Get familiar with the lesson plans and the national curriculum- beyond that read the main books you would expect the pupils to be reading for pleasure at this stage. It is always helpful if you can talk about characters and plots from first hand. Check the resources on this site and think about some of the "forgotten" curriculum areas like geography, science and technology. You may get more response posting in one of the other primary teachers forums!