1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New writing exemplification

Discussion in 'Primary' started by emmat34, Feb 8, 2016.

1. cybermat64

cybermat64 New commenter

I am in the same position - I have one writer who is a brilliant writer when scribed or using CoWriter but cannot spell at the expected Year 2 level! On the webinar it was stated that if a child did not meet the standard for spelling they could not ever be deemed acheiving the expected standard even with a diagnosis of Dyslexia - I have written to my MP and Nicky Morgan challenging this as it is surely discrimination?

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We have similar, a very expressive writer with excellent grammatical awareness but can't spell for toffee. He will be doubly disadvantaged-he will presumably be assessed as pre Key Stage for writing and will be below expected in the grammar test as his high grammar scores can't offset the dire spelling results.We are trying everything we can to get the year 3/4 spellings sorted and he has improved since September but he has very little chance on the yr 5/6 ones

3. chickenlady4

chickenlady4 Occasional commenter

4. nical73

nical73 Occasional commenter

I agree with everything said so far. I am an experienced teacher of 20 years ( 8 in year 6) and I have never felt so exhausted, confused and disorganised. I have been through a very successful moderation 2 years ago, so have always had the confidence in my judgements - until NOW. What is MOST (51%) ?
    Cannot work miracles in 9 months! This cohort were only introduced to year 5/6 spellings in September. Absolutely ludicrous to expect them to spell MOST of these words. Spelling is a major concern in school and many of my 27 children still struggling with the year 3/4 words. Therefore, I will be lucky to get above 40% at expected. Absolutely appalling. I have written to my MP as well as Nicky Morgan. Haven't had a reply though - there's a surprise. I do urge every Year 6 teacher to do the same. We MUST protect our children and schools.
    Find it slightly amusing, for the first time, that the DFE had to release the Clarification guidance. Just shows what an absolute farce these exemplifications and expectations are!
    Sorry about the exclamation but I am emphasising my point. Is this allowed?

5. Julie100

Julie100 New commenter

Hot off the press - have been horrified by a colleague's report that our local authority's moderation team has issued advice to Year Six teachers to put 'post-its' on to children's writing with advice on how to improve it then quietly remove the 'post-it' before moderation! Is this what we have all sunk to? I don't want to do this job any more!!

6. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

As a moderator, having read this, I don't want to do this job either:(

7. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

I know this isn't helpful, but this made me laugh! Play the game, sunshine, play the game!

8. Julie100

Julie100 New commenter

No!!!

whitestag likes this.
  9. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Sorry, just a primary parent, but when I read the written work that was supposed to represent a teacher assessed "expected" it did not read as though it was exam condition writing from a year 6 child. It felt contrived and as though the child writing it had received a good deal of input of some sort during the planning and execution of the writing. What do the guidelines say?

It is surely not intended to be "exam condition" style writing? otherwise, a writig test would be appropraite

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

No it's not meant to be cold exam condition writing but neither is it expected to be heavily scaffolded.

11. hotchoc6

hotchoc6 Occasional commenter

How do you define heavily scaffolded?

12. Rayndrop88

Rayndrop88 New commenter

It is not supposed to be heavily scaffolded and it is also supposed to be independent. The problem is that different people have different ideas of what independent is, and no one has a clue what the Dfe's definition of independent is. To me modelling writing the beginning of a piece of work is teaching but to a moderator it might be cheating.
    Our school have also been told to do the post it note thing and we laughed but when you've got so much conflicting advice as to what is allowed it makes sense just to do it.
    I've had somebody tell me that I can mark and highlight a spelling mistake to a child as long as they look up and change it themselves. I've had someone else tell me that the minute I mark the work then it no longer counts as independent.

13. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We've been told that to highlight a specific word as incorrect means it is not independent but if we mark the line in which the word is incorrect in some way ( a "S" in the margin was suggested) and the child has to identify WHICH word is incorrect first, then that DOES count as independent.

herein lies madness!!

14. hotchoc6

Still very unclear what heavily scaffolded actually means in Y2. Is scafolding referring to modelling writing? If I modelled the beginning of a piece of writing to start the children off, I would not take the modelled sentences into account if I was assessing the piece of work afterwards.

15. Msz

16. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Quite a lot of room for manoeuvre then. Trouble is, it is your moderator's interpretation of this document that counts, not yours.

Who are local authority moderators? Who trains them and dictates their approach? What will happen to them when all primary schools are academies?

17. Msz

Our LA have been advertising for moderators (obviously in response to increased number of schools to be moderated) from teachers who have curriculum experience

18. chickenlady4

chickenlady4 Occasional commenter

The STA webinar that was on 26th Feb on KS2 SATs revisited has been published by the STA on

A question was asked about how the independent writing was leading to no teaching. This is their response at 29:20...
    ..'that review, self review, over time is permissible as independent writing. Obviously, we don't want pupils to be amending to a direct response from the teacher where they say change this word to this word and so on but through self review, peer review, through teacher review, where they generally give pointers then they look again over a number of times on a piece of writing, is acceptable So in response to the question being asked, there would be teacher interaction and learning going through and that would be evidence for independent learning at the end of KS2.'

He does mention a teacher review which seems to be just verbal earlier on. Not sure if I am still confused as to what I can do in my teacher role.

19. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

I am a local authority moderator. We are trained by the LA assessment leader who, during the initial training session, runs through the STA guidelines and procedures, before handing us a moderation task which we MUST pass if we are to continue.

I was originally invited to become a moderator after our school was selected for the original 'dry run' moderation trials a few years ago. This involved handing over our writing samples (pupils externally selected) for moderation by representatives of the LA, STA and the DFe - all of them in the same room. . After 2 hours of trying to remain calm whilst teaching my class, I had to sit there with my fellow Y6 teachers, DHT and HT, whilst they delivered their judgements. Have you ever seen Reservoir Dogs? Pretty stressful, to say the least.

I just want to reassure fellow Y6 teachers. We are in exactly the same position as you. My own school was moderated last year and, like all of us, we had a couple of pupils who we knew were right on the borderline, one way or another, so I know exactly how you all feel.

What you need to remember is that all moderators want to do is to CONFIRM your judgements and we will look long and hard to find evidence to support you. The last thing we want to do is to undermine you. We're in this together and, this year in particular, we've all had a particularly rough time. My motto is 'do as you would be done by' and I'll be sticking to that.

As for the future, who knows? We moderators aren't paid for the role and we have to plan cover lessons for our own classes - very time consuming. Our schools receive, from the LA, money for supply for just half a day per visit. It's probably not worth the stress but there are plenty of us who still believe that it's better to be moderated by a fellow Y6 teacher than return to external tests where markers might well have had no relevant experience at all. I never want to go back to those days.

I'm not sure how this would work in a world without LAs.

20. hotchoc6

Could someone post the link for the KS1 webinar please?

Also can I take it from Msz that more schools will be moderated this year than in previous years?