1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New writing exemplification

Discussion in 'Primary' started by emmat34, Feb 8, 2016.

1. emmat34

emmat34 New commenter

You can register online now to participate in the live events and to submit questions to the panel of experts in advance
    Registration for primary assessments webinars
    I managed to get in 5 questions in my word limit. I suggest all Yr6 teachers send in their questions too. It is unfair they have their webinar at 2pm when most of us are working. However, if we send in our concerns then maybe we will have a few answers that might just help us. The transcript will be available afterwards - I presume soon after 3pm. We need to be together on this, for the children we teach who deserve a fair assessment.

2. emmat34

emmat34 New commenter

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

4. phoenix1993

phoenix1993 New commenter

The problem is going to be that none of us are 'quite' sure what is, or isn't, permissible...

So many children will not reach 'expected' because of poor spelling.

Still, at least the STA have put the Teacher Assessment deadline back to June 30th...so we've a little bit longer to make out decisions...silver linings...

5. jumad

jumad New commenter

Like many other Year 6 teachers on here, have been metaphorically slitting my wrists since the writing exemplification material was produced - at this rate, will be lucky to get 20% Expected and a big, fat 0% Exceeding - this is madness, people!

6. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

I'm coming to the realisation that they actually want a national dip in results this year, so they can claim 'robust' new standards. They might have gone a bit far though - any fool will know that 20% national average in writing looks a bit suspicious!

7. emmat34

emmat34 New commenter

8. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Which will now play havoc with the new moderation procedures!!

9. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Why cannot they recognise that they have dug themselves a great big hole at which they are sitting at the bottom of.

Cancel writing assessments for this year. The new date of 30th June leaves no time for moderation as KS2 results are due to be published around 8th July.

10. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Will they not just moderate some schools before the date?

11. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Who knows Milgod, they just seem to be making it up as they go along.

12. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

This year moderation was meant to be a validation of teacher assessment levels so planned for AFTER teacher assessments were submitted. They will now presumably have to revert to the "old" method of moderating before data is submitted ( which I personally much prefer as, certainly in my authority, it was daunting but ultimately supportive. The "new" procedures seemed to be much more punitive in nature)
    Goodness knows though!

13. Julie100

Julie100 New commenter

This is my first ever post, despite being a teacher for far too long, but never have I felt such a need for some help! I truly believe that the expected level of Year 6 writing is out of reach of the majority of pupils ( and still will be in however many years it take or the new standards to work their way through). As a Year 6 teacher, I implore every school to submit completely honest results about the number of children at these ridiculous standards. Only by doing this, can we possibly send the government the message that what they expect is ludicrous.

Saints 79 likes this.
  14. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I completely agree with you Julie. Everyone needs to be honest with their assessments. The schools that are not will stand out like a sore thumb if their reading results are much lower.

I have told my staff to be completely honest with their assessments and if the majority are below age related then so be it. The quality of our teaching has not changed - it's the goalposts that have been shifted massively

Julie100 likes this.
  15. whatkatiedid

whatkatiedid New commenter

I agree that we all should be honest about the true levels, however, I then have two huge anxieties that plague me:
    1 - Ofsted. Will lower results automatically trigger results?
    2 - Pay increases. We are on Performance Related Pay and my targets at the beginning of the year were set at 85% of my children reaching expected standards. Which is never, ever going to happen. We're working so hard and getting ourselves overly stressed and yet come my appraisal I will be told that I'm not moving up the payscale?!

I'm so furious at the government for this. They would never let schools get away with being so slapdash and disorganised. Between Gove and Morgan they have made an absolute mess of the education of children and have completely undermined teachers at the same time. I have never felt more like quitting teaching.

16. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

I know it's easy to say, but please just don't worry about it. The children are what they are, as long as you know you're doing the best for them then that is all you can do. The government have messed this up. We have to try and get a balance between pushing them to achieve as well as they can and putting them off education for life. These poor Y6s are unlucky enough to be in Y6 this year, but long term, their results at primary won't do them lasting harm. We need to keep sight of what is really important. Stuff Ofsted.

17. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

We are being promised (ha ha) that the results will not be used against us this year.

When I carried out PM reviews with staff back in September we did not set numerical targets. Instead we will look at individual progress of each child and see how that pans out

teacup71 likes this.
  18. MisterE83

MisterE83 New commenter

As all of your are, I am so disheartened by the new expmplicifcation materials. My class (especially the weaker ones) have made such progress this year, but due to the new assessments, the majority will still be deemed 'not achieving'.

A quick question- How is your school communicating this to the parents? Are you communicating that due to the current changes you are expecting a higher percentage of children (despite working hard and showing great progress) will not achieve working at?

We have obviously mentioned it at meet the teacher meetings (new higher demands of curriculum etc...) But i'm not sure how high they realise the new demands are; most thinking 'my child is a good writer, they are definitely at the standard (and they would be on previous years!).

Just panicking hugely with a parents evening looming, and potentially an awful evening or having parents ask one after another, to which I will have to be saying the same thing.

19. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

Print out the exemplification materials for working at the standard and give to parents so they can see what the expectation is now.

20. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

We have already done that at our KS1 and KS2 SATs meetings for parents.

There were a lot of shocked faces especially after we let the Y6 parents have a go!