1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New writing exemplification

Discussion in 'Primary' started by emmat34, Feb 8, 2016.

1. emmat34

emmat34 New commenter

2. Carolyne740

Carolyne740 New commenter

I agree.
    Whilst I don't think it appears (at a very quick glance I hasten to add) as bad as I expected, the spelling issue associated with the interim framework assessment is causing major issues. I have 4 dyslexic children in my class that cannot reach expected because of their spelling, although one is an absolutely amazing writer.
    How is everyone else dealing with this?

3. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

I don't think you can do anymore for those children. Just keep working on their targets and meet parents. Explain that they won't meet expected due to spelling because Gov want to make sure that high schools pick up spelling where you left off.
    Don't shout at me.
    This is what the STA said on the Webinar.
    I think we just have to prepare parents and focus on what the children have achieved.

4. chickenlady4

chickenlady4 Occasional commenter

So what happens if you have a very small cohort (but just above the reporting threshold therefore a large % per child), who have issues with spelling for a variety of reasons, none of which are the fault of the teaching but due to circumstances out of the teacher's control ? Oh yes, I forgot - it is the yr6 teacher who is ultimately accountable. I wish I had a magic wand.

Susiecook and mrsminniemouse like this.
  5. Carolyne740

Just one magic wand? I need the whole of Ollivander's!! :rolleyes:

Susiecook and mrsminniemouse like this.
  6. Carolyne740

Good advice teacup71. And very true - I thought the whole concept of the new assessment was to focus on what the children can do. How, therefore, do I feel like I am just looking at what they can't do?!

7. teacup71

It shouldn't be just the Year 6 class teacher. If it is a SEND child then the SENCO and outside agencies would have advised. If it's a whole school spelling issue the SLT and English Subject Leader would put it in school improvement. I think this year we are all trying to do too much in Year 6. Not enough time.

8. Carolyne740

Ignore my previous comment!
    Now had time to have a really good look at the exemplification materials and all I can say is eeep.
    Expected is more like a 5c I think that the 4a/5c we were lead to believe (or 4b as some hoped!)
    Really concerned about the below expected example too - looks like a 4b to me!

So ... will that be 35% nationally at expected? As per L5 last year!? (Ignoring the spelling issues!)

teacup71 likes this.
  9. chickenlady4

chickenlady4 Occasional commenter

Thank you for your kind words teacup71. It is not what the children can do- it is what they can't do that we are judged. These materials are out too late for us to do much. Not very well thought out. I hope that others are in the same boat too so we are a national average. The fact a child has issues that everyone in school is aware of does nothing when it comes to numbers on paper when results are due.
    Like the 35% nationally expected figure. It about suits!

teacup71 likes this.
  10. Pink n Fluffy

Pink n Fluffy New commenter

The KS1 ones don't look good either. Makes me want to cry, never mind the children!! I just hope other schools are the same. Spelling is our big issue too and according the exemplar the statement of most punctuation e.g. full stops and capital letters seems to be all!! I just feel so sorry for the children they look like their little brains are going to pop!!

teacup71 likes this.
  11. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

The expected standard is definitely reminiscent of the old level 5, which only a minority of pupils achieved, especially in writing.

It isn't very fair to assess the current Y6 against these standards, they started key stage 2 in 2012.

It would be fairer to assess against these standards in 2018 when the cohort has had four years' worth of teaching of the new content.

To make matters worse, they've published these samples halfway into the year.

It is just going to create blind panic and stress. The children are the ones who will ultimately suffer.

teacup71 likes this.
  12. lottie04lots

lottie04lots New commenter

One thing that jumped out at me when looking at the ks1 ones. They've typed up the examples of the writing rather than show the children's actual work but they have bothered to scan in the children's pictures.

13. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The un annotated examples are the child's writing

14. teacup71

15. teacup71

You are right and I am in Year 6 so know how you feel. I am trying to take my own advice and not panic. Hard though! I just hope you have a SLT supporting you.
    I am SLT and English Leader so I know we are doing all we can but what we can't give the kids is more time.

16. TT87

TT87 New commenter

Can anyone clear this up for me?

In the KS1 key principles it says 'Teachers must base their TA judgement on a broad range of evidence from across the curriculum for each pupil.' However in assessment grid for working at expected standard it says, 'the pupil can write a narrative about their own and others' experiences (real and fictional)...' and for the working at greater depth it says 'the pupil can write for different purposes...'

If I took the statement at the top of the assessment grid at face value I would assume that to achieve expected standard the pupil would only have to demonstrate those skills in a range of different narratives not for a range of different purposes?

Basically, are they suggesting that 'working at expected standard' can be based on narrative only???

I hope this makes sense? I'm beginning to confuse myself...

Thanks

17. teacup71

It's hard to figure any of it out. Apparently the STA are going to put FAQs on their website sometime in Feb...so this could mean anything.

18. mrsminniemouse

mrsminniemouse New commenter

Don't forget it says they can use dictionaries and word mats in their writing. Doesn't help with SPaG test but will help with writing TA levels.

teacup71 likes this.
  19. davidgreen55

davidgreen55 New commenter

Sorry, but Being lucky enough to work in a school in a relatively affluent catchment, where we have had 85%+ level 4s for many years, all I can say is that our expected this year will be 30% if we're lucky on this evidence. Leigh's African explorer piece is a level 5 for sure and I only know of one child out of 51 we have this year, that could have produced something similar, and that would require support, redrafting, improvement etc. It's nonsense, send it back to the STA and tell them to try again.

wendle1 likes this.
  20. teacup71

Apparently moderators can look at re-drafted work and the children can use working walls, dictionaries, word banks etc. Apparently anything that is part of normal classroom practice.
    Read this
    http://ow.ly/i/gvSGx
    May help a little...

wendle1 likes this.