1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Wok, carbon steel, proving methods?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by RedQuilt, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I had to dump my beloved old wok yesterday due to an incident involving a stroppy teenager and copious quantities of carelessness :(. Having been and purchased a nice shiny new carbon steel one I've completely forgotten how I proved my old one. Anyone got any foolproof proving methods?

2. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I don't mean proving do I!! Seasoning is the word I should have used:oops:

3. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I don't do the spring onion thing. I just wash it thoroughly and wipe it with a decent amount of sunflower or groundnut oil, heat it until it's really smoking and then give it another good wipe with kitchen paper once it's cool. Then the inside of it never sees washing up liquid or detergent anless some well meaning person interferes! Just gets wiped or scrubbed under running water if needed and then a blast on the heat to kill any germs. I sometimes use the wok to boil liquid, in which case it needs seasoning again.

5. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter