1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Way Reading scheme

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MsLDV, Nov 14, 2007.

1. MsLDV

MsLDV New commenter

Hi I need some help/advice!
    My son is on the New Way reading scheme and is in Year 2 He has just started the Blue Level.
    I'm a bit worried that he might be below average and don't want to appear over anxious by contacting the school. I'm doing a PGCE (secondary) and its tough going so I can't really indulge him with loads of reading time, (he wouldn't appreciate it anyway - he's not that motivated!) and with SATs coming up at the end of this year I want him to have the best results he's capable of without pushing him too far. Any advice/reassurance would be greatfully received. L

2. MsLDV

MsLDV New commenter

Hi I need some help/advice!
    My son is on the New Way reading scheme and is in Year 2 He has just started the Blue Level.
    I'm a bit worried that he might be below average and don't want to appear over anxious by contacting the school. I'm doing a PGCE (secondary) and its tough going so I can't really indulge him with loads of reading time, (he wouldn't appreciate it anyway - he's not that motivated!) and with SATs coming up at the end of this year I want him to have the best results he's capable of without pushing him too far. Any advice/reassurance would be greatfully received. L

3. What level is Blue (ie stage 2, 3?)

4. MsLDV

MsLDV New commenter

mmmm it doesn't say, but the first book is Core Book, 'Dressing Up and other stories'

5. We use New Way at school and i think blue is about average for this time of the year in year 2.
    A colleague has said for children to get a 2B at the end of the year they need to start year 2 reading at least green new way books.
    Hope that makes sense!

6. If he is on Blue at this stage in Y2 then he should be on the way to L2A at the end of Y2 or even a L3 as long as he understands what he has read of course.

7. MsLDV

MsLDV New commenter

Thankyou so much for this - I think an L2A or L3 is OK but I'm not sure of the levels for primary.
    I think I'm reassured.
    :)

8. For Year 2 2B is average so 2A or 3 is above average

9. MsLDV

MsLDV New commenter

Thanks Magicsparkle
    I'm a happier mommy now!
    X