1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New way of teaching???

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nasirrejon, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
?

How much would you be happy for a 15 minute session?

1. £1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. £2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. £5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. £10

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Hi Guys,

I am new to this blog. I have been teaching for a bit and tutoring on the side to pay the bills.... as you do.....

I have this recurring problem with a student that I tutor; he keeps rearranging his schedule or cancelling the entire session. This ruins my entire schedule for tutoring. I have contemplated quitting tutoring many times but I came up with an idea that I wanted to run past. Maybe its nothing new but it came to me to like an epiphany when he kept texting on his phone.

I thought about creating an app that basically uberises my tutoring. For example he asks me specific questions during our session or he'll WhatsApp me during the day, which I answer for free. So with the app, he would start the session by texting a specific question for Science (my subject) then he pays for a session for 10 / 15 mins. The real question would be how much would I charge a student for 10/15 mins? I would be happy with £2 that would pay for my lunch.

What does everyone think?

Thanks in advance to everyone!

2. rustyfeathers

rustyfeathers Occasional commenter

How much do you charge an hour? Base it on that

freckle06 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Just quickly now before I answer properly, how much will you pay for my response in this thread?

4. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Hang on - there is a consultant for that. Ring my premium rate number and ask for The Donkey that needs Loads a Cash !

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Two quid for 10 to 15 minutes???

Are you mad???

He can Skype you and pay £30 per hour! More!

sabrinakat likes this.
  6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Who is paying, him or his parents? I would be billing them for all the sessions whether he attended or cried off.
    If it his the parents then do they know he is constantly cancelling?

7. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Make sure students don't expect you to drop everyhting in order to respond instantly. Set office hours. No evening calls after a certain time.

Etc etc

phlogiston and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

The real question is why you've given a student your personal mobile number (it's screaming "safeguarding!" at me and then that you've chosen to respond "on demand". Stick to the set out tutoring sessions, suggesting student make a list of questions they would like answered.

The app idea needs work. First, why you and not google. Secondly, price it at what you're worth. I get paid more than £12 a hour. Of course, you'll be declaring this income and paying tax on it too.
    :)

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Definitely consider this.

phlogiston likes this.
  10. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I am very anti-tutoring that involves answering a specific question. You should be teaching, not doing his homework for him.

colpee, border_walker and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. colpee

colpee Star commenter

A key point I feel - why would someone pay a couple of quid to get a question answered if they could get a good enough result for free?

I fancy you are just being too nice. A better business might be be to have fixed times that are paid for regardless of attendance - and paid up front! Then no student, no stress. :cool:

nizebaby and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Please tell us how old yoututees are. Also, are you in England?

The person you tutor needs to wake up to reality: teachers are not servants. The more you let people know you value your own worth, the more they'll value you. If they still don't, their are students out there who'll be glad of help.

If this is a youngster, either he's skiving or his parenparents are user. Your time is what counts - not his inconvenience!

13. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

The other thing is that you make no mention of your qualifications. Are you financing you studies by picking up a bit of extra money up by tutoring? Might your subject knowledge be better than you teaching skills? Are you patient when he seems a bit obtuse?

Wherever you are, you need to ask yourself all these questions.

Good luck.

14. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Please excuse typos. I can't believe I wrote "their" instead of there! How embarrassing,