1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Voices in Media Education Conference

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by katedomaille, Jan 11, 2012.

1. MEA/BFI New Voices in Media Education Conference
    On the evening of Friday February 3rd and Saturday 4th February 2012 at the BFI South Bank in London we will be holding the ‘New Voices’ conference, with workshops and presentations from first-time presenters and people relatively new to media teaching. A choice of 15 workshops are available in 3 sessions on the Saturday covering topics across all sectors of education from primary classrooms to A level topic areas, delivered by teachers like you who are trying to work out the best way to meet their students' needs through good practice in media teaching and learning.
    The conference will open on Friday evening with a drinks reception and a talk from Ian Livingstone, Life President of Eidos. At Eidos Ian Livingstone helped to secure many of the company's major franchises including Tomb Raider and Hitman. In 2002 he was awarded the BAFTA Special Award for outstanding contribution to the interactive entertainment industry. Ian is also co-author of the Next Gen report on computer games skills which amongst other things makes far reaching recommendations for how video games and programming should be taught in schools. The Observer (4.12.11) cited Livingstone's remarks from the report as needing to transform the UK into "the world's leading talent hub for the video games and visual effects industries." http://www.nesta.org.uk/publications/assets/features/next_gen_on_newsnight
    This conference will be the first step in a strategy designed to get more people involved in the Media Education Association. A provisional programme for the conference is available here and you can book a ticket- for just £32.45 here
    (If hyperlinks don't work,you can view the conference brochure by looking on the MEA Website www.themea.org and book tickets by visiting http://newvoicesinmediaeducation.eventbrite.co.uk
    This is one stage of many initiatives MEA will be launching across 2012, including developing local teacher groups and supporting classroom research in media teaching and learning.
    Joining the MEA is free. Building a vibrant network of media practitioners will take up some of your time but there is much to be gained by getting involved with the subject organisation for media education and building a strong community of practice.
    We look forward to seeing you in February or at one of any number of other events across the year. If you'd like to find out more about MEA and the answers you want aren't on the website, you can try and direct your queries to me and I'll do my best to answer them. kate.domaille@btinternet.com
    Kate Domaille

2. Can't go [​IMG] as I finally have my Olympic Volunteer interview (shhhh... don't talk about it) otherwise I would be there... good luck to my friend Claire who is presenting...

3. Still time to register for this.
    http://newvoicesinmediaeducation.eventbrite.co.uk/
    but only 25 tickets left!