1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New types of litter

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blazer, Apr 6, 2020.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Out walking over the last week or so and I have noticed an increasing number of discarded medical gloves and face masks. Today they were everywhere. I don't understand the logic of folk so afraid of this virus that they wear these things but then just chuck them away rather than bin them.

And don't get me started on the amount of dog excrement that seems to be around as well!

ShowerGel likes this.
  2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

How about bagged dog excrement that is thrown into bushes and hedgerows in summer, only to be revealed in winter when the leaves drop? Hanging from the branches like a dogsh*t Christmas tree decoration. Those of us who voluntarily maintain public open spaces are constantly having to dispose of them.

ShowerGel likes this.
  3. vannie

vannie Star commenter

It’s only going to get worse as collections dwindle. Out council have said that they will no longer collect our brown bin (bottles, cans etc). I have very little outdoor space and certainly no shed or garage. I don’t know what we’ll do now as it’s already packed full. Him indoors will have to stop drinking...

Nanny Ogg and agathamorse like this.
  4. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

Yes! This! There are several pairs on our dog wall route in the middle of nowhere. Weird.

5. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I've noticed that there is a whole collection of dog poo bags on the verges of our road.
    We have recycling bags rather than bins and after collection day there is always a huge amount blowing down the road. They have Velcro fastenings which quickly loose their "stickiness". Often our bag of plastic recycling will blow away if it isn't stuck into the glass/tin box and also attached to the other bag.
    Haven't seen any discarded masks but did see one pair of gloves.

6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I've also noticed an increase in fly tipping. Is this because council tips are closed? I can't imagine who is thinking they desperately need to get rid of a fridge, double bed or sofa right now - I saw all three of these newly-dumped while our for exercise today.

7. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Don't talk to me about dog sh it.
    It is appalling.
    I also wish people's dogs would not come and slobber over me and/or jump up...
    "Sorry Fido's soooooo friendly."
    At the moment on my 'trips' I go where there are very few people and dogs especially - I just go out on my bike and if I stop there is no one/dogs.

I haven't seen any masks etc. either. That's awful.

burajda likes this.
  8. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

I suddenly though that maybe they're having a clear out for something to do and those items have been cluttering up corners - now they have time to dump them but the dumps are closed.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  9. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I've noticed a lot of fly tipping too. A few large items but also masses of black bags of normal household waste (many burst open so you can see what they are). We're still getting our normal service so I don't understand this at all. Even if people are vile enough to fly tip, wouldn't it be easier just to put it in the bin?!

10. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Yep.. They've shut the tip here and suspended the garden waste collection. The unexpected time off has lured many people to conduct clear-outs and home improvements, and there's nowhere for the junk to go. Lots of black bags surrounding roadside bins.

agathamorse and Catgirl1964 like this.
  11. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Cue lots of bonfires!

12. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

This is happening in my area, people are putting loads of rubbish besides the council bins as yes, it then gets collected.

I don't really understand why the council refuses to collect 'heavy' waste on a timed and regular basis so as to be done with it. They are saving big money with all the schools,offices and libraries closed, for example.

May even be cheaper than endlessly tidying these bin areas or worse, removing the fly tips.

13. burajda

burajda Star commenter

But not 'frequently' or you'll get an abatement order.......if anyone at the council is checking their inbox.

14. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

There should be a law requiring all dog poo bags to be made of biodegradable materials only. There must be millions of dog poos in landfill that are going to be sitting there encapsulated for centuries.

ShowerGel likes this.
  15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It's unclear what they intend to do about recycling waste. At the moment our council website says they will try to have normal collections, but they didn't do it last time. It requires a degree of hand sorting, so that probably means with social distancing, it will end up in landfill.

16. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Isn't it just incredible that all these huge motorways have been built destroying our beautiful country just so people can zoom around cushioned in their cars and camper vans going to visit areas of beauty which are still left but if people carry on zooming around will soon be gone and they'll have nowhere to zoom to but...

Sorting stuff so it can be recycled is DONE BY HAND!
    Wouldn't it have been better to leave the road building so people have to eat local produce and take holidays nearby to enjoy peaceful car free woods and lanes and travel by train and bus and spend money on excellent high tech recycling methods instead?????
    There we all are busily sorting out plastic etc wearing our halos booking our next flight and gorgeous hotel or camp site 200 miles away or even a plan to park and sleep in a quiet (not for long) layby (innocent) as we sort?

It beggars belief that folk can be so backward and shortsighted.
    My sense of taste has returned due to the reduced air pollution and other are exclaiming how fab this is but will they be straight back into their cars zooming here and there on non essential journeys the second they are able?

So two faced and such ignorant denial.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  17. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Just to clarify, some councils ask residents to sort their recyclable waste into separate bins depending on the type of material, others just ask residents to put material that is recyclable into a single bin.

Our council uses a contractor who sorts through it using both automated and hand sorting.

18. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

You have my personal heartfelt thanks

Lalad likes this.
  19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Appreciated, but I should clarify that I haven't done any during the lockdown - most of the other volunteers are older than me so the scheme shut down a few weeks ago.

20. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

you have my personal heartfelt thanks for ever doing it!

magic surf bus likes this.