1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New tutor, couple of questions.

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by twirl21, Jul 16, 2020.

1. twirl21

twirl21 New commenter

Hello,

I have just set up as a primary school tutor and have 2 children booked in for the summer holidays.

I wanted to ask how you organise worksheets and work completed during the sessions. Do you provide an exercise book or some type of folder to keep work in?

Also, how do you share with parents what you've covered? I was thinking of providing a record sheet to include what we covered and any homework to be completed for the following week.

Thank you.

2. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

Are you doing this face to face or online? Most people I think are still tutoring online, as the advice for class teachers is to keep 2m away from children and not spend more than 15 mins close to any one child.
    If I am tutoring face to face, I provide an exercise book and advise them to get a folder for worksheets. While I am tutoring online, the parents have to provide both of these things. I keep detailed records of what I have covered with each child, then at the end of each session, I email parents to say what we have covered, any helpful tips, and send homework on email which they have to print off themselves. Even when I was tutoring face to face, I emailed homework in this way. Hope this helps.

3. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Parents are usually there and I spend last few min with them when face to face
    Any documents I've used are emailed
    If it's a printed worksheet I provide it but if they want a book or a file they provide their own

4. twirl21

twirl21 New commenter

Thank you both, that's very helpful.

5. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

I supply exercise books and have a block of drawers to keep work in, some of mine are in their third year with me in September. I also recommend they have a folder or shelf somewhere to keep work together.

I feedback to parents after each lesson and formally by email or message when requested.

I keep my lesson plans and notes from the session in their drawers.

6. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

My online students all have a bit paper with their work on. I annotate this with comments for parents. I supply these.

My F2F students have a ring binder where they keep all their work and a little pouch for flashcards etc. I supply these.

For F2F students, I also have a little feedback form which is half an A4 sheet which I note down what we've covered and any messages. These are reprinted with space for name, date and subject comments so they don't take long to fill in while I teach.