1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New tutor advice please

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by m_whyman, Oct 14, 2018.

1. m_whyman

m_whyman New commenter

Hi
    I am leaving full time teaching in December and want to set up as a tutor. I would welcome advice from anyone out there who has gone through this process. I already tutor in the evenings, travelling to students' homes. Ideally, however, I would like to work from home (childcare issues) and would like to be able to offer small group sessions (the idea being that this will make it more affordable, both for me and students). Can any one tell me:
    The legalities of tutoring from home
    The legalities/possible problems of small group tutoring
    Also, although I understand it wouldn't be necessary, has anyone used an agency to get a DBS certificate independently? If so - recommendations please!
    Thanks!

2. Kateray1

Kateray1 New commenter

Trouble is I don’t think you would get many people wanting to pay for group tuition I maybe wrong here but most surely would want 1-1.
    I’ve done small group work in schools, you would obviously need to differentiate resources for individuals and how would you deal with the lower ability ones not working at a pace consistent with the rest of the group?

3. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I work from home
    I never get asked for DBS
    I don't get many requests for groups
    Whenever I have done pairs it hasn't worked very well
    You need to sort out what the expectations are about payment if they don't all turn up?

When you say you're working from home due to child care issues who will be looking after your child / children while you're working?

4. alsoamum

alsoamum New commenter

Whatever you decide, you need to make sure you have tight terms and conditions if this is going to be your main income.

I've been tutoring from home since 2015 but left the classroom completely in Easter to just tutor - it's been a very steep learning curve in terms of running my own business. I offer groups, pairs, 1:1, workshops etc.

Parents are a law unto themselves and if this is your income you have to have your head screwed on and know what your terms are or you will end up.being messed around.

In terms of insurance etc, if you join Voice Union as a tutor they will cover you for public liability and professional indemnity.

Please feel free to PM me if you would like and I can share my contract document with you.

treeickle likes this.
  5. alsoamum

alsoamum New commenter

And I've never been asked for my DBS but I have one through a supply agency and it's registered on the update service. This costs me £13 a year but I shouldn't need a new one.