1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New tutee meeting

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by bio_teach, May 30, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I have just arranged a meeting with a parent for a new student I will soon be tutoring. Whilst I am confident in my subject and the syllabus I will be tutoring for, I do not want toappear unprepared. I am an NQT and this will be my first tutee. What I want to know is what would you bring to such an initial meeting? I know the sorts of things to bring to a first tutoring session, but I don't want to appear unprepared for our initial meeting to discuss the pupil's current situation - even though I am not charging for the session.

Also, I would normally expect to tutor after school and so would wear my clothes for that. But I just wanted to know whether people also dressed casually for tutoring, or would this seem unprofessional?

Thanks in advance.

2. Hi all,

I have just arranged a meeting with a parent for a new student I will soon be tutoring. Whilst I am confident in my subject and the syllabus I will be tutoring for, I do not want toappear unprepared. I am an NQT and this will be my first tutee. What I want to know is what would you bring to such an initial meeting? I know the sorts of things to bring to a first tutoring session, but I don't want to appear unprepared for our initial meeting to discuss the pupil's current situation - even though I am not charging for the session.

Also, I would normally expect to tutor after school and so would wear my clothes for that. But I just wanted to know whether people also dressed casually for tutoring, or would this seem unprofessional?

Thanks in advance.

3. * I meant I would normally wear my school clothes, but should I be Ok wearing casual clothes?

4. Typhoon

Typhoon New commenter

I tutor from my home, so I just normally wear whatever I would be wearing anyway! If I've been out teaching that day, I'm usually still in 'smart' clothes, but if I'm at home that day I'm usually in jeans, and have even been known to teach in tracksuit bottoms or my jodphurs when I've been out riding beforehand and haven't had time to change!
    For a initial meeting, I print off a copy of my 'Tuition Guidelines' for the parent, which provide a useful reference point from which to discuss the tuition process, cancellation policy etc. (n.b. I didn't have these initially, but these have evolved after gaining experience and being messed around by parents regarding timings and short-notice cancellations in the past.) I also have a simple form for parents to sign, committing to a course of lessons and with a space for emergency contact numbers on. This part of the session is fairly informal and of course I always ask the tutee and parent if they have any questions about how the tuition will be organised and delivered.
    From this we generally discuss the tuition process, how lessons will be organised, if homework is required or not, and also obviously focus on the pupils current difficulties and how best I can help and desired outcomes - e.g. target grade if it is an older pupil preparing for an exam. I ask pupils to bring along any school exercise books and relevant text books they may have, as well as recent reports / information about levels so that I can get a 'feel' for how they are working. I always spend at least 20 minutes of the session watching the pupil complete a task, so that I can begin to make an assessment of the level they're working at. This might be hearing a younger pupil read, or setting some comprehension questions or half a page of writing (if for English) or completing part of an examination paper if for maths.
    Following this initial session, I then find I am able to plan forward and work out the best way to proceed with future lessons based on the discussions with the pupil and their parent plus the evidence I have seen of the pupil's work. Hope this helps a bit.