1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New trainee teacher, soooo happy!

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Janna5, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Hello everyone,
    I've just been offered a place on the PGCE French Secondary and I'm over the moon![​IMG]
    I badly need advice as I want to get ready for September.
    What do you advice me to do over the summer?
    Ex:

• Where can I gather MFL resources (beside tes)
    • which books should I read
    • Which textbooks are good and where can I find them?
    • and most of all where can I find books or websites that give in detail all the areas of the curriculum in Secondary French? I need to know what I will be required to teach, I know it sounds daft but I need to know what 11,12,13,14,15 and 16 yo pupils learn as I want to be prepared.
    • And every other advice you have for a trainee MFL teacher.
    Thank you !

PS: Still can't believe I've been offered a place! I'm incredibly happy and it's lovely to be here [​IMG]

2. ambi

ambi New commenter

Congratulations! I believe it is not easy to get on PGCE this year for a variety of reasons so well done. I would suggest that you contact your PGCE course contact for a reading list etc. Also peruse the many threads on TES MFL to get a flavour of the themes that serving teachers are concerned about. You could go on publisher websites(eg heinemann) to see the overviews/SOW(not sure if SOW will be available online actually, you might need to actually buy to get that) they often have alongside their book listings.

3. Thank you very much Ambi, still can't believe it lol
    You are right, I will definitely contact them for a reading list!
    Any books, text books and websites you know of?

MFL teachers pls help !!

4. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

Congratulations, janna5. Might I humbly suggest you take a look at www.frenchteacher.net as I have posted not only resources and links, but some advice on lesson planning and methodology. I think you will find it a good starting point.

5. What a shame you did not choose Chinese or Japanese! They are the future I am afraid; not French or German. In 10 years they will be scrapped from the national curriculum for being outdated!

6. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

Have you told France and Germany that their languages are outdated? The Académie Française for one might be a bit shocked.

Please keep your diatribes to yourself, hikochan, it's getting boring.

7. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

Congrats Janna5! Please download all you want from MFL Sunderland.

8. Thank you very much SpSmith and Geekie!
    It really helps!
    I'm going to have a busy summer, but I just can't wait to get started.

9. Random175

Random175 New commenter

I thoroughly recommend the pathfinder books from CILT. Not only are they really practical, useful and full of good references themselves but they are really easy to read and will expand your own reference list easily!!

10. If you can, try to offer / brush up on another language - maybe not Japanese [​IMG] - trainees at my school who have only one language have found it really hard to get a job. Apologies if this sounds downbeat, but being able to offer two langs (even if one is a bit shaky) makes good sense and you have some time to work on it if you need to.

11. mpc

mpc

Congratulations!
    MFL Sunderland has a wealth of useful ideas as does frenchteacher.net
    You might also like to look at www.languagesresources.co.uk
    I would agree with babycam about brushing up a 2nd language as this will make you much more employable. Do some research into the geographical area where you want to work eventually and plump for Spanish/German accordingly.
    Best wishes,
    mpc [​IMG]

12. Thank you all so much for your help![​IMG]
    @ Random : Are there pathfinder books for French at Secondary level? I've seen primary books only.
    Thank you Mpc, it sounds really good.
    @ Babycam and Mpc, I do have a second language, I fluently speak Italian but it's not popular at all lol ... which makes me wonder why UEL offers PGCE French with Italian ?
    I'm going to try and learn Spanish, I don't think I could learn German even if my life depended on it lol

13. londomolari

londomolari New commenter

Have you ever seen 'The Island', a Ewen McGregor film?

14. londomolari

londomolari New commenter

You may be right, hikochan, although I disagree somewhat about Japanese. All it takes is another big earthquake. I think Korean might be useful though. It seems to have gained a lot of popularity over the last few years.
    I doubt French will be scrapped from the curriculum. People will still be teaching it for years to come, and all for the wrong reasons. Most MFL teachers have French as one of their languages. It is very difficult to get a MFL job without being able to offer it, I believe. So pupils will continue to learn it, some will take a degree in it, and then some will go on to become teachers of...wait for it...French!
    I've nothing against French personally. It's a very nice language but I agree that pupils would be better served by a more realistic choice of languages in the international world of today. Save French and German for those who want to do them, in the same way that some people want to take Latin or Ancient Greek.

15. There is more Italian taught in schools than you might think. However it tends to be in clusters of schools rather than widely geographically spread. So if you are able to be flexible about where you work you may well find a French/Italian post. Independents often offer Italian so that could be another possibility.
    I would try to ensure that you get a placement where you can have experience of teaching Italian, even if that does involve you travelling a bit further. This could be your USP, don't down play it!

16. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

Take no notice of hikochan.
    It is true that PGCE students in our area (North Yorkshire) have had difficulty getting jobs despite the Ebacc, so brushing up on your Spanish may well be useful, even if you could offer it at KS3 only.

17. Random175

Random175 New commenter

Have a look on the CILT site there are far more secondary (for all MFL) books than primary. They often offer a job lot and your university library will have them as well.

18. French and German are NOT global languages. Everyone knows that. As someone else has said on this website, they are minor languages and should be considered a 'minor element' in the curriculum. I wholeheartedly agree with that person. Spanish should continue however. It is important and GLOBAL.

19. I agree with the writer who says the importance of Japane and its language could be affected by another earthquake.
    The writer also say the following with which I completely agree:
    I've nothing against French personally. It's a very nice language but I
    agree that pupils would be better served by a more realistic choice of
    languages in the international world of today. Save French and German
    for those who want to do them, in the same way that some people want to
    take Latin or Ancient Greek.

Thank goodness for someone at last using their commonsense! Let's have a more realistic choice of languages for children!

20. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Janna, knowing Italian puts you halfway there to understanding Spanish, you could easily teach yourself enough to be able to confidently offer it at KS3. Luckily I've never been in the position to have to do this, but it would be my fallback (thankfully there were enough schools where my knowledge of French, German and Italian were required, so I've never needed the little Spanish I know).
    Strangely enough, I've yet to teach in a school that offers Chinese or Japanese (or where parents want it for their child). I've taught in a school where Chinese was offered as an after-school club, taught by a native speaker 30 minutes a week to about 8 pupils. Meanwhile Italian clocked 10 hours a week. So Italian is still around, and I've also taught it to adult learners.