1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Trainee...HELP!!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by amy_colyer94, Aug 30, 2017.

1. amy_colyer94

amy_colyer94 New commenter

Hi All,

I'm hoping you can offer some guidance and wisdom. I start my teacher training in music on Monday (Ahh!) and I really don't feel prepared. Does anybody have any tips about how to minimise the amount of stress? Also I'm going out shopping this weekend to get some last minute bits (things like pens and pencils), is there anything you suggest I get that isn't an obvious buy?

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Don't get carried away with buying things just in case your course or training provider should be providing a list of what is needed. Sometimes it is better to wait until you then get what is essential. With regard to pens and paper you will find a good computer a better bet unless you are buying them for your classes- if so don't- the school provides these!
    The responses to this posting also help cover the main preparation considerations.
    https://community.tes.com/threads/pgce-preparation.763095/

pepper5 likes this.
  3. Manhas

Manhas New commenter

I start my teacher training in a few days. I wanted to ask do you learn on placement how to have a good pace of time management when carrying out lessons to the children?

As I have observed teachers do lessons and I am amazed how some teachers carry out their lesson to a good pace. As I am anxious that either I will be too quick or slow carrying out the lesson. I understand behavior management needs to be placed before doing a lesson. I appreciate tips on carrying out the lesson within the set time.

Many thanks

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Manhas

Don't worry as when you are on your placement your tutors will show you how to plan your lessons which will include calculating how much time to devote to different activities within the lesson which will depend on the topic and ages of your students. Your tutors will help you and when you read about lesson planning timings will also be covered.

In the early days of teaching, you will probably write all your planning down with estimated times for activities, but as you get experienced you will get better at judging how much time something will take or how much time to devote to any one activity. Don't forget those you are observing make it look easy since they have a lot of practice.

Don't be too hard on yourself in the early days. It takes a lot of practice to become an expert.

You will be absolutely fine.

freckle06 and Manhas like this.
  5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi Amy

In your teacher's toolkit take either a box of tissues for your classes or have some pocket tissues. Also, in your classes when you teach some baby wipes or hand wipes. For emergencies you may want to have in your classroom some paper towel which is extremely useful for times when students spill water or pens break.

Those items are not so obvious, but are handy to have when you need something to wipe up spills or kids are sneezing.

If you ever write on a white board with permanent marker instead of a dry wipe pen, spray over it lightly with perfume and it will take it off.

freckle06 and Manhas like this.
  6. Manhas

Manhas New commenter

Thank you pepper 5. I love that you give supportive advice. :)X

blueskydreaming and pepper5 like this.
  7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Manhas

You are welcome.

All the best for next week.

Manhas and blueskydreaming like this.
  8. Manhas

Manhas New commenter

A quick question. It has been playing on my mind. What type of peer assessments is best for key stage 1 children?

Thank you @pepper5 :)

9. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

You say that you have been observing soooo if you have not witnessed any peer assessment to date there may be a reason for this ? I suggest you approach the staff with this question ...

pepper5 likes this.
  10. Manhas

Manhas New commenter

As it is tough to get a teaching assistant job. I have been working in preschool where its a different set up for learning.

I observed a while ago. So need to jog my memory. That is why asked the question.

However, I will question it on the course.

pepper5 likes this.
  11. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Different teachers will use different types of peer assessment. Try some out and see what you like and the kids respond to best. You'll probably need to train them though so give it time.

Manhas and pepper5 like this.