1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to Year 6!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lo33, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Currently in Year 4 but have been told that i'm going to be teaching Year 6 from September! A bit worried about it, has anyone got any tips on classroom layout, behaviour etc?? Not sure i'll be-able to get away with my stickers and stamps so much?! Or the good old '1,2,3 ...eyes on me!'
    Many thanks x

2. Currently in Year 4 but have been told that i'm going to be teaching Year 6 from September! A bit worried about it, has anyone got any tips on classroom layout, behaviour etc?? Not sure i'll be-able to get away with my stickers and stamps so much?! Or the good old '1,2,3 ...eyes on me!'
    Many thanks x

3. angel-74

angel-74 New commenter

Hi just been told the same only been in year 4 for a year and i'm being moved to year 6. Caught between being excited and very nervous - going to keep a very close eye on this thread, good luck x

4. don't be so sure about the stickers and stamps... my year 6's are still suckers for them now!! Love year 6 as they've got a good sense of humour

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Why not? They <u>are</u> still children (just bigger) & need firm guidelines.

6. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

Some of mine will do anything for a sticker! They're also very good at volunteering for jobs. Recently the year 1 teacher asked if she could borrow a couple of my kids to help sort out her bookshelf (some of her class had attempted to help and ended up with the books all over the floor.) Apparently they did a fab job and then begged for a sticker for being so good! Came back very proud to be wearing a huge year 1 smiley face. A lot of their stickers end up stuck to their drawers - think there's a bit of a competition going on as to who can cover their whole drawer before they leave!

7. Made this exact move last year.
    Did move from stickers to Certicards - like a credit card sized rewards but since these are much more expensive than stickers, they really have to go the extra mile to get one.
    Yes - much keener to do jobs but be careful - they can also mess up in a spectacular way!
    Once had a couple of girls completely miscut some information vital to observed lesson.
    Luckily l was a day ahead or could have been seriously stuffed!
    Have found l've kind of learnt and grown with them, which is lucky as it is now very challenging post sats and residential trip and in Transition. Expecting the big O any day too which all adds to the pressure and the need to keep them contained and focused on learning.
    But definately staying there next year, would like to return to Lower at some point but have really enjoyed the year and experience, and no, it wasn't my idea and given more notice l would probably have been job hunting!