1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

new to year 6 -what exactly do they like and do you do??

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tick/star/smileyface, Aug 15, 2011.

1. tick/star/smileyface

tick/star/smileyface New commenter

Hello everyone

Firstly sorry, I know there have been lots of these! Secondly sorry, I have tried to post a lot of times but TES won't let me hotlist anything so everything has been lost into the past! Trying on OHs laptop this time!

My query is this - after 5 year of key stage 1, mainly year 1 most recently, I find myself moving to y6 in September - having never taught it! Now, l love a challenge and really am looking forward to something new and exciting, but like many others, am feeling overwhelmed and what I need to do (apart from planning, obviously!) I know the work load will be greater, but has anyone any tips or ideas for how I can prepare myself for the Numeracy subject knowledge, generally what Year 6s are into (as opposed to Y1 and their love of everything!!)

Do year 6 still like stickers and silly rewards? I've heard mixed ideas about this. What do your timetables look like (remembering I'm used to free choice and CI learning!!)

All this aside, I'm not completely incompetent, just about to start something very new and exciting and very different - without any support!!

Thank you and I really hope someone out there can boost me up!
    Thanks again!

2. tick/star/smileyface

tick/star/smileyface New commenter

Hello everyone

Firstly sorry, I know there have been lots of these! Secondly sorry, I have tried to post a lot of times but TES won't let me hotlist anything so everything has been lost into the past! Trying on OHs laptop this time!

My query is this - after 5 year of key stage 1, mainly year 1 most recently, I find myself moving to y6 in September - having never taught it! Now, l love a challenge and really am looking forward to something new and exciting, but like many others, am feeling overwhelmed and what I need to do (apart from planning, obviously!) I know the work load will be greater, but has anyone any tips or ideas for how I can prepare myself for the Numeracy subject knowledge, generally what Year 6s are into (as opposed to Y1 and their love of everything!!)

Do year 6 still like stickers and silly rewards? I've heard mixed ideas about this. What do your timetables look like (remembering I'm used to free choice and CI learning!!)

All this aside, I'm not completely incompetent, just about to start something very new and exciting and very different - without any support!!

Thank you and I really hope someone out there can boost me up!
    Thanks again!

3. Well firstly, the most important thing to remember is that they are still children. Whether or not they respond to stickers and silly rewards depends entirely on how you treat them from the offset - dont make the mistake of giving them too much power by treating them as anything other than children - after all they are only 10 and 11. When i first gave stickers out to my Y6's they looked at me like i was mad - but, once they realised that everyone actually wanted one they dropped the 'im too old for this' act and loved them - they were still sticker mad in July!
    The curriculum should run as any other (wide range of learning going on). I do literacy and numeracy every day and try to get writing opportunities through history and geography as much as possible too. I also have a daily reading lesson of 30 minutes. I give them regular timed writing opportunitiesof 20 and 45 minutes and they do practise sat papers every half term so that they become comfortable with the format. after feb half term admittedly i do increase the level of SATs subject time for revision up until may.
    The work load is huge, dare i say moreso than other year groups - its the marking that is the killer - esp. extended writes and the marking of test papers etc. BUT its worth it. Year 6 are great to teach - let them know you're on their side, who is boss and what your expectations are and they will work for you. Im sure you'll love it! I certainly do! [​IMG]

4. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

If my last class of year sixes were anything to go by, they like snogging in bushes, dating each others boyfriends, swearing, football and make up :D

5. Brilliant, wasn't just my last year 6 class then :)

On a serious point, year six are fantastic to teach, the key thing is not to forget they are still children and still like colouring in patterns and stickers and reward systems. They really like competition!!
    With regards to the curriculum I would not deviate from lit and num in the morning but would have the odd science or topic day to liven up the curriculum (and cover parts that might be missed otherwise!). I never mentioned the S word before Christmas but got to know the children's capabilities and key areas for them to improve ready for the sats push from Feb.
    Main thing is to enjoy it, the children usually have a great sense of humour, will get your jokes and you develop a bond with them like no other year group. Don't get me wrong, it will be hard work but it will be enjoyable - the banter, the residential trips, the responsibilites, the trust outweigh the extra marking. And you will develop ways of quickening the marking, there must be advise on here - I found having a code of acronyms and highlighters helped me and the children.
    Lastly, seek advise from a fellow year six teacher if you are in more than a one form entry and make sure you get on a new to year six course - I didn't and regretted it, it took me ages to catch up. Having done the opposite to you and now a deputy head in an infants school I do miss year six but love teaching year two - the change is great, you will love it I'm sure!
    Rich