1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to year 6 and SATs - help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lnevil1, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I am currently teaching year 5 and after a successful year with my class my headteacher has asked me to move with them into year 6. It will be my first time in year 6 and am worrying already about my inexperience; I don't want to let my children or headteacher down. I was wondering if there are any experienced year 6 teachers out there who can offer my any guidance with regards to the SATs - what are the key things I need to ensure the children know/can do? I would really appreciate any help or guidance offered.
    Thanks,
    Lisa

2. Lisa - if you want to pm me I'm happy to help with any specific questions. Is there another Y6 teacher at your school that you can ask?

3. We only have one year 6 class so I won't have a year group partner which is a shame. My main concern at the moment is writing. The children are very poor across the school (to the point where I am still reminding my year 5s about capital letters and full stops!) What would you suggest are the main areas and skills I should focus on in teaching good writing techniques?
    Thanks,
    Lisa