1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to year 4 and so confused!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Genie89, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Genie89

Genie89 New commenter

Hi guys

Been in year 4 since September in a one-form school. I've only ever taught early years before and did some supply teaching. I have no idea how to plan English for year 4, there seems to be so much! Reading, guided reading, grammar, spelling, handwriting, writing..... I have no idea how to set out my planning and we are now in November and i still haven't got the hang of it.
    Can't go to my head of primary as I have asked her before and she's always so busy and hasn't really given me a straight answer. The school did not give me an induction and so i'm learning everything by hearing things on the grapevine. I have to assess my kids in two weeks time and I have no idea if what i have taught them is correct!

Can someone send me a weekly plan of their autumn 2 year 4 class? I have NO idea how to fit all this stuff in and i'm sure i haven't covered everything.

Thank you
    G x

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

digoryvenn and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Lindenlea is correct , there's loads of planning out there.
    However I would start from looking at the Year 4 objectives, breaking it down into 3 terms and working out, backwards what they need to have learnt by when.

Mind you with a test in two week's time you don't have much time.

Can I suggest you try and find some of the QCA booklets- some of the earlier ones with the 'termly tests and then sue the next 2 weeks to teach what they'll need to have a fair go at a test.

digoryvenn, Stiltskin and Genie89 like this.
  4. Genie89

Genie89 New commenter

Thank you for your reply.

I have found thousands and thousands of plans online but they don't make any sense to me. I don't understand where they are getting all their information from- how do they know when to teach things so that everything gets covered and everything fits in? I have been planning straight from the NC but i know there must be a way to 'break it down' over the year. I seem to repeat a lot to my class and i can tell they are getting bored. I really am finding year 4 very difficult. I don't know why. Seems every other teacher I know just has a natural ability to 'do' this stuff.

5. Genie89

Genie89 New commenter

Thank you that's very helpful.

6. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Not everyone will be doing the same thing as you anyway, so looking at others planning will be limited help.

Have you spoken to your English curriculum lead yet as they should have an overview of LTP and possibly copies of MTP?.Use these alongside the NC to identify what needs to be covered and break it up over the year as much as possible. For each theme, consider how you are going to find out what they know already and then how you're going to get them to where they need to be at the end of the year. SPAG you should be able to build into most English lessons in year 4. Set some separate time aside for GR. Again your English lead should be able to show you what is/has been done in the past. Dont forget to make good use of any classroom assistants you have to help boost those that need it.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Give the learning context. Think about how you can bring together different elements together through a text. Different texts offer different/better opportunities to develop certain things. They'll have vocab, punctuation, grammar elements that are common to it which will allow you to draw things together. This way you can revisit things over the year, applying what they have learnt in new contexts.
    If you have topic themes each term then this can help identify what to focus on. If you're happy sharing here I am sure others will make suggestions, else feel free to PM and I'll see what I can suggest.

digoryvenn and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Seems is the key word in that sentence! Believe me most people are just good at pretending.
    Teaching early years is a completely different job to teaching year 4. I moved the other way a year ago and it took me a lot longer than the first term to get my head round it.
    Talk to the year 3 and year 5 teachers and see what they do in terms of literacy in a week and how they organise it.

Look on TES/Twink l/etc/etc and find a plan that you understand and lasts all year. Then use that.
    By the summer term you will feel more confident and able to tweak things a bit.
    By next year you will be much more confident and will suddenly be one of those teachers who seem to have it all sussed!