1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to year 3

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sophiegardner, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Hello,

I am going to be new to year 3 in September? Just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice? I've pretty much got my planning sorted and trips.

Any suggestions for a class reading book for yr 3?

Thanks

2. Hello,

I am going to be new to year 3 in September? Just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice? I've pretty much got my planning sorted and trips.

Any suggestions for a class reading book for yr 3?

Thanks

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Will be following this thread with interest as I've not done lower primary for a while - no work and I've been with 'middles'.However due to re-organisation will be moving back into R toYr 6 (hopefully) in Sept.
    From memory, it's important to treat the children as 'Juniors' as opposed to infants, so can start getting them involved in self-organisation, class helpers etc. much more.
    On the plus side, many children will (again hopefully) be reading more confidently and on their own quietly for much of the time.
    When I did a lot of Year 3 my lot used to like Mrs PepperPot stories and the Littlenose books (useful for link to early man ). Ex-pupils still remember me reading those when I meet them! Easy Roald Dahl Giraffe Pelly and Me & the Enormous Crocodile are good too. Horrid Henry of course. Lots of easy Dick King-Smith, but it may depend on any topics you're studying.
    Don't be too soft with them but treat them like 'Juniors', able to be a bit more independant.You'll have widely varying abilities , so LOTS of differentiation anywhere between working towards and some level 3c by the end of the year.
    Best of luck!