1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

new to year 2, what do I need to do????

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jillguy40, Jul 8, 2011.

1. jillguy40

jillguy40 New commenter

Two years ago I was an early years teacher and then moved into Year 1 last Spetember. It has been a steep learning curve but have just found out I have the higher level year 2 children next year. So realise this involves SATS but any help on what preparation I could do before september would be really helpful and ideas on anything. Thanks

2. From what I've experienced of year 2, I would start drinking now! This will help you through...gin in the stock cupboard

3. I love Year 2. I trained in reception, but was then put in Year 2. I think it is a great age, as they are young enough to be really enthusiastic and old enough to be very capable and take some responsibility.
    I would book yourself on the LEA's end of KS1 SATs course and try and get on the one in the Autumn if possible. You need to order the papers you want in October I think. Don't worry about the SATs though. You report your TAs not the SATs results and although you have to follow the rules for the tests, you can let your children take them any time from after you receive them in February to the end of June. We plan to use them more as diagnostic tests this time and do them dotted through the year so they don't intrude too much.

4. k_e

k_e

I'm in the same situation as you and really not looking forward to it!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOLOL I'm moving to year two and am sooooooooo excited. After 15 years in year 5 and upwards it is the best thing of the year so far. Love the fact I'll still need easy access to Gin though! Great comfort!