1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to Year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by KatieStones19, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Hello everyone, I will be teaching year 1 in the coming september and am interested in how current year 1 teachers organise their literacy, numeracy lessons and the length of time you allocate to these subjects per day. Any ideas and suggestions would be fantastic!!! :)

2. well hi katie that makes two of us, because i will be teaching year one in the coming september. the way i organised my lesson is how the head and education co-ordinator wants to. usually schools do tell some basics in how it should be organised. the lenght of lesson are normally one hour everyday for maths and literacy. the school that iam going to be teaching at showed me how they would like to do and what kind of unit areas are taught.
    i hope this helps you and i hope it does not confuse you more [​IMG]

3. comenius

comenius New commenter

Hi!
    This is how I will be running year 1 up until Christmas. We have assembly so a morning session will start at 9.30 when I will do a short maths/english input to the whole class. Then one adult will go outside, one adult will work on adult focused activities and one adult will support adult initiated challenges in the areas of provision(children will have to complete 5 out of 6 challenges during the week) and do observations. This session will run uninterupted until 11.30 (we don't have playtime as outdoor provision is continuous). Then we come together for 5/10 mins mental maths and then split into phonic groups to finish the morning. 2 mornings will have an english focus and 2 will have a maths focus. Wednesday morning will be guided reading groups.
    Afternoons will run in a similar way covering RE, PE and topic work and I make sure english skills are covered in this work too and maths skills when appropriate.
    After Christmas the adult supporting the challenges will work on adult focused groups too as by then the children should be doing the challenges independently and I will probably switch to english and maths daily. After Easter I will also introduce an independent group, to start getting them ready for year 2.

4. Sounds chaotic.

5. comenius

comenius New commenter

hheaton - I don't follow the frameworks, so trying to 'fit' all those many objectives in isn't a problem.
    24601 - it's not chaotic at all (actually, the first couple of weeks are until the children know what they are doing and what is expected!!), after that the children move freely between indoors and outdoors, between challenges and their own initiated play and know to come when an adult calls them for focused sessions.