1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to Year 1

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by nc_marsden, Jul 8, 2011.

1. nc_marsden

nc_marsden New commenter

Hi, i am an NQT that was been working in a year 3 class for 7 months! I recently got a position in a Year 1 class! myself and the current Rec teacher are meeting next week for 'hand over'
    Just wondering if you had any advice as to what i should be asking/what information i should recieve?
    Many thanks in advance
    Nikki

2. I am in the same boat also, any hints, tips advice or must-have books/resources?

3. Hi I'm also an NQT (Early years/ks1 trained but in yr4 in Sept) but think you could ask for info about the children's personalities/character/behaviour as well as their academic ability. I'm sure the reception teacher will give you their early years profiles or info from it; learning journeys etc.
    I will be using the TES forum for resources. I have bought several stories I think my class would enjoy and will be using school's existing schemes and maybe '100 num/lit lessons' for back-up/ideas! Music Express would be good too for yr1 I think!
    Updating your knowledge of the EYFS would help you too as a lot of learning is play-based - the school may/may not want you to ease children into yr1 by incorporating play-centred learning into your planning.

Hope that helps a bit. Good Luck in September!

4. Hiya I'm just coming to the end of my NQT year in Year 1.
    Yes you will need the Profile scores which I imagine the Reception teacher will give you. If you are not familiar with Early Years, I would do some research before on how Early Years assessments work so that you are familiar with the criteria and able to build on it.
    I would check about which children have SEN, EAL, and if any children have child protection related concerns.
    I'm happy to answer any more questions if you have them. Good luck!

5. Oh any my 'must reads' are:
    The Bumper Book of Storytelling into Storywriting by Pie Corbett
    Moving on to Key Stage 1: Improving the Transition from the Early Years Foundation Stage by Julie Fisher
    You can find them both on amazon

6. Great thanks!

I had ordered the Improving Transition book already but I love Pie Corbett and have ordered that too.

Kind Regards
    Sue