1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to year 1 - displays help please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by madmusician, Aug 30, 2012.

1. madmusician

madmusician New commenter

Hi
    I've been in year 3 / 4 for 7 years and moving to year 1. The displays in the room i'm moving to had been up for 5-6 or more years so I have removed them all!
    Maths board is pretty easy as some of the stuff I am re using and we have specific bits that go up anyway but i'm struggling a bit with what to put on the literacy display.
    The display used to just show finger spaces and I have a board of HFW. Not sure what I should have for year 1's as only a few can read at the moment.
    Thanks in advanced.
    Michelle

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Some sort of phonics display will be useful for the children. Lots of people have strong ideas about how this should be done, but essentially you need the graphemes and some words which show them. Maybe pictures to help those not yet reading?

Some key topic words are useful as well.

The finger spaces thing is really important for year 1, not sure I'd devote an entire display to them, but they are a big deal for year 1. Same with full stops and capitals.

3. Grolta

Grolta New commenter

If you're still looking for display resources then have a look at www.rainbowresources.co.uk - lots of free ks1 resources.
    Good luck with the move![​IMG]