1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to Y6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by carbod, Aug 24, 2015.

1. carbod

carbod New commenter

Sitting here trying to get ahead of the game with planning but not really sure where to start with being new to Year 6. Think it is a combination of being in holiday mode as well as not complete mind field re changes etc Any advice from experienced Y6 teachers very well received!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I think planning too much ahead is going to be difficult, as by year 6 they should (hopefully) have pretty much covered most of the material they'll need for SATs and a lot is checking for the gaps/misunderstanding etc to hone in on for your teaching. Therefore until you've done some diagnostic testing to see where those are, it's going to be difficult.

I'd start by looking at the new curriculum expectations for year 6 and then see how you might approach them.

Have you got any pre-determined themes to work to? They'll provide a staring point. For example (though I'm currently in year 5 the principle is the same) they do a local history study on Victorians next term and in Geography Routes and Journeys so that gives me my Non-Fiction stimulus- diaries, explanations/instructions. That leads me to think about grammar particularly relevant to those themes. Subject/object pronouns, Point of view, subject/noun agreements, tenses, passive and active voice for diaries. Conjunctions, paragraphs for explanations instructions.

I've set up a couple of comprehension tasks and a spelling diagnostic for the first week fo term to try to analyse particular needs in the class.

Maths is pretty much on-going- again refer to the new NC.

Hope that helps in some way.

3. Hi :)

I'm also new to Year 6! Like Lara, I'm worked out my main topics and have then thought about what genres I can cover within that for my literacy. I'm doing river and Egyptians first, so in literacy we will be looking at river poetry, Wind in the Willows (setting description, plays, persuasive arguments/balanced arguments) and Egyptian stories and myths, to name a few. Again, like Lara, I'm basing my SPaG activities around these genres and will teach discretely if and when needed. I agree that maths is also fairly ongoing, so I will be following the Programme of Study (I'm in Wales) to mould my objectives.

In the first 2 weeks I'll be conducting baseline assessments to figure out where there is misunderstanding/lacking knowledge to help target specific areas. We also spend the first 2 weeks on back to basics style lessons, so will recap fundamental aspects of literacy and maths.

I agree with Lara that I wouldn't go too far ahead, but have a broad idea of the topics/genres you will cover.

4. Envyemerald

Envyemerald New commenter

This year in year 6 is a little different as we are now working from the new curriculum and we do not yet know how the new scaled scores will work out in terms of testing. Although I have been in year 6 for a while, I have been looking closely at the new objectives and have taken the sample tests myself to help change the pitch of my teaching where necessary. I have also set out my topics and created a progression up to May for GPS objectives beginning with a 'securing foundations' for the first half term. As above, I have planned the first week or two around diagnostic assessments for spelling, writing and maths (place value and calculations).

I have planned in some testing weeks up to May and have analysed last years data for all pupil groups and pinpointed key children for targeted intervention so we can hit the ground running.

I hope this helps and good luck. It's a fantastic year to teach.

5. carbod

carbod New commenter

Hi thanks everyone for responses it really helps. Did you create your own diagnostic assessments for spelling etc?

6. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

For Year 6, it is mainly preparing students for their SATs. They should have started studying towards these tests in Year 5 in order to give them the best chance possible. Have you got any data/results/feedback from their Year 5 teacher? You could use this to stipulate what they need to study. I wouldn't advise trying to cram 2 years of teaching in 6 months neither, students will have to much to 'process' and therefore will not likely remember everything!! Having said that, I would still go over any topics not covered in a long time

To refresh memory.