1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

new to y5/6-some help please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ROLLING, Jul 1, 2011.

1. i have a new job starting in September teaching y5/6.
    The head wishes me to teach one core subject (numeracy) whilst she teaches literacy (job share) and then a mix of rest of curriculum rest of time (0.44)
    i am a bit worried. this seems to be on the line of separate subject teaching rather than creative/skills based curriculum-which everyone seems to be leading towards.
    i have never taught y5/6 before and am a bit overwhelmed by it all. could someone please help-share with me/tell me what they do in a y5/6 class.
    I dont think there is/are any planning/schemes in place-or preferences at the school.
    i am also a bit scared about being responsible for SAT's.

2. Hmm numeracy is often taught separately from a topic based approach anyway so I can see how this might work. Often numeracy is taught in ability sets in larger schools, so is taught by different teachers than literacy/topic, and this doesn't seem to put them at a disadvantage. One problem might be in the creative curriculum/topic lessons you might not have seen the texts they have looked at in literacy, but you can easily have a read beforehand to catch up almost!

The only problems with being mixed age class happen around SATs week when half are sitting the tests, and during preparation where you might have booster groups and practice tests, you might need a TA or parent helper to take the Year 5's for a project or something!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Right take a deep breath, you CAN do this. It's always tough at the start of your career or just a new year group.
    If you're sharing with the Head it makes sense for him/her to do something self-contained. Even within a creaive skills curriculum not everything can be taught via the topics and are usually covered 'discretely'. There's always an odd assortment of things which have to be done which don't fit neatly into some topics.
    As to the SATS there are some good books 'Quick FIx for . . . . '. Take every opportunity to look at some past papers and ensure you cover all the topics / areas whicih usually come up and the just teach.
    The year 5 could take the optional tests whilst the Y6 are doing actual tests- may be different next year as writing papers may be taken out and continuous assessment (via APP?) replacing them.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Sod what 'everyone else' does and do whatever your school does. Plenty of schools do teach subjects separately and with the plans for changes in the next few years many more will come back to it. And to be honest, when job sharing it is much, much easier to have your own subjects to teach and assess than to try to do bits each.
    Same as what you do in a single year class, though possibly, but not necessarily, with a wider ability spread. SATS week often means the year 5s do their optional tests at the same time.
    There will be something and if you are sharing with the HT they should be able to guide you a little. Get into school later this term to chat to her and plan exactly what you are going to be responsible for.
    You aren't responsible for SATS, your school is. Maths is much easier to prepare for than literacy when it comes to SATS and children can easily self mark a lot of the time, so you have a good deal there.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Personally I think such books are a marketing con. I wouldn't waste your money on them. Look at what your children can't do, APP will help with this, and teach that. No point buying a book written for the entire country and expecting it to suit your particular class.

Get your school to subscribe to TESTBASE if they don't already do so and use it.

6. Thank you so much for all of the replies- you all wrote what i really wanted to hear!
    I have already done lots of research, re-studying, finding resources and updating my knowledge and understanding. I know the school and in a way am lucky as it is a class of under 20 children-although they do have a wide ability range.
    I have looked into testbase and will ask to subscribe to it.
    I do feel happier teaching a specific subject rather than a bit here and a bit there-atelast i'll know coverage and assessment etc-where to go next etc.
    If anyone can think of anything else that might help me please let me know.
    Much appreciated x
    [​IMG]

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Relax and enjoy it! It is a fabulous age to teach.

Be flexible about groupings. Sometimes year 5 and 6 doing different things. Sometimes in ability groups and forget ages.

8. Hi..
    I'm an NQT and have taught a mixed Year 5/6 class this year and looking forward to doing it all again in September. I used the Cumbria Grid for Learning which has mixed age medium term plans for maths that I used as a starting point. From there I used APP to ensure I was pitching the lesson to the children's individual abilities. AND there are also activity banks for suggestions for lessons.
    http://numeracy.cumbriagridforlearning.org.uk/index.php?category_id=129
    I agree with the last post that you forget the age, I taught according
    to levels. As for SATs revision, I have found that my kids were turned
    off by anything remotely testbase. I use a testbase style question (in
    disguise) for a plenary. Good opportunity for them to apply the skills
    practised within the lesson. "How can what we have learnt today help
    us to solve this problem..?"