1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to y2, non chron writing, sats?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rainbowdrop86, Feb 7, 2012.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

I'm wondering if u can help me think of a way to cover non chron reports in my Roald Dahl topic to ensure I've covered it before sats? I was hoping we'd ordered the 2007 pack as would have much preferred the narrative. Was told we could have normal creative entry points like normal but obviously with a non fiction that's quite hard!

2. rainbowdrop86

I'm wondering if u can help me think of a way to cover non chron reports in my Roald Dahl topic to ensure I've covered it before sats? I was hoping we'd ordered the 2007 pack as would have much preferred the narrative. Was told we could have normal creative entry points like normal but obviously with a non fiction that's quite hard!

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

4. rainbowdrop86

Thanks for the link but I afraid it's not of much help. My main text is George's marvellous medicine! This isn't going to link in at all is it!

5. Could you alter when you do this SAT so it fits in better with something else? We are doing ours across the year so it doesn't impact much on any theme.

6. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

No but it's a very good guide to how to introduce/sort out non-chronological report writing and I'm sure you can think up your own slant (Dahl related) having seen what's needed....

Great link Msz [​IMG]

7. rainbowdrop86

Surely I need to cover non chron reports this term so we're ready to do it next term for sats. I could cover it beginning of summer term when we do dragons and dinosaurs but isnt that leaving it too late?
    I'm struggling to give it a dahl twist. What bout linking it to healthy lifestyles in science and doing it about healthy foods?

8. rainbowdrop86

9. rainbowdrop86

Non chron report about a giant hen?

10. Non-chrono reports in Y2 are very difficult for the children to grasp and I'd be wary of making links if you are finding it hard to do so. Must admit nothing springs to mind with Dahl. The most tricky thing is ensuring the children have the knowledge of something to write about before they even begin to understand the features of report writing.
    We tend to link it to ICT Finding Information. We do lots of research about a particular animal (for example sharks, or dinosaurs) and then practise writing reports based around that.
    For the SATs, we then do lots of research on nocturnal animals but leave the actual report writing to the day when they have the knowledge and, hopefully, can apply the features.
    In the past, we've also done simple report writing as a practise on something they know really well already (eg Our School). Possibly something in GMM might lend itself to that (eg Hospitals, Doctors....!!)
    Not sure that helps .... [​IMG]

11. rainbowdrop86

What is gmm?
    I'm really concerned now about fitting it in

12. Well you need to do it so it can be reported in June, so we have ours done by mid May. We now look at our themes at the beginning of the year and fit the SATs across the year where they fit best. You only have to have a one week gap between teaching the genre and doing the SAT though.
    They could create fact files or leaflets with Dahl's funniest/most horrible characters, or something similar if you needed to link it in with Dahl.

13. rainbowdrop86

Well I've learnt to be more organised next year so that I can fit in the unit more easily! I'm thinking healthy living would be better to link with my science

14. Sounds a good plan. It didn't work too well for us last year, so we planned it in early this time. We're doing the maths SATs this Thursday, which should be interesting!

15. GMM= George's Marvellous Medicine (thought that was your book you were using?)
    The 2009 SATs you are doing (with the non-chrono report) have a character profile as a short task. Why not make that the link? Then do non-chrono reports on something else.

16. I'd do a non-chrono report on dinosaurs to link with your dragons and dinosaur theme and a character profile of a Dahl character to link with Dahl.

17. And remember - it's teacher assessment that counts anyway, not the SATs results which is there to inform what you already know.

18. Fantastic Mr Fox, it covers both parts of 2009 SATs, learn about the animals, fox, rabbit, badger for the report. Character descrition Mr Fox or one of the farmers lots to say. Did this last year and am doing it again this year worked well.

19. coffeecakes

coffeecakes New commenter

You could get them to write a non-chon report ABOUT roald dahl, or alternatively about different types of medicine.

20. Love it. Great idea.