1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to Y1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by plyast, May 15, 2017.

1. plyast

plyast New commenter

Hi

I'm moving down to Y1 in September. I'm really excited and very nervous all at the same time. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on daily timetable and transition please.

I've also been working with our EYFS teachers in FS2. In FS2 they record observations/images/notes on an app called Tapestry. They've really enjoyed using this and have found it really useful. I would like to know if there is an alternative app for Y1 that doesn't have to be linked to the EYFS objectives.

Thank you in advance.

2. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I think you really need to speak to your school and see what they want, because all schools have a different view on what Year 1 should look like. Some schools like the Continuous Provision to be carried on and phased out gradually over the year. Some expect role play areas. My current school (and those of many of my friends I keep in touch with at different schools) do not want to see role play because they want the children more at tables doing more formalised learning. I have just bought and read the book 'Year 1 in Action' by Anna Ephgrave which presents a very interesting view, but her Yearj 1 classroom is nothing like mine. It's down to your school really, in my opinion.

3. plyast

plyast New commenter

Thank you for the book idea. As a school and leadership team we are looking for advice and ideas.

1 person likes this.
  4. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

The book is definitely worth a read. It's very play based with minimal whole class instruction (like a continuation of EYFS). I did get some good ideas from it, even if I'd never be allowed to adopt the whole model.

5. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

As far as I understand, Tapestry can be used in KS1 and KS2 to link to NC objectives.

6. DENISE4444

DENISE4444 New commenter

I agree it is very much based on what goes on in your school. Talk to the current yr1 staff about what has previously happened with transition. We are quite formal from the first week back in September, no continuous provision etc, (I'm previously EYFS for many years), I think it is hard for the kids to adapt and some do it better than others, we spent about 2/3 weeks where in English and maths we had group activities with 1 adult led over 2 days but soon got down to them all working on the same activity at the same time especially in maths. Good luck

plyast and (deleted member) like this.
  7. plyast

plyast New commenter

Oh really? I will look into that then. Thank you