1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to tutoring

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by SonicBootsTiddler, Aug 20, 2019.

1. SonicBootsTiddler

SonicBootsTiddler New commenter

Hi all,

From September, I'm going to be taking on some tutoring in an evening after work.

I have been approached by a client who has expressed concerns about her child showing signs of dyslexia and struggling with her visual memory eg can achieve 10/10 on spellings in the week she learns them but not 2/3 weeks later.

I am really keen to be able to help this child but am unsure of the types of resources to use to begin with to gain an understanding of where this child currently is at and also general resources to support her with which differs to what she is being offered at school.

Does anyone have any advice on resources etc?

2. bramblesarah

bramblesarah New commenter

Hi,
    I am not an expert in dyslexia but if the child can get 10/10 on the week and just forgets the spellings a few weeks later then that is not my experience of dyslexia but just a normal child forgetting things. Do you remember everything you have ever learnt?
    With all my students are regularly recap with them. The student needs to carry on reviewing the spelling they have learnt the previous week. Until the information is moved into the long-term memory.

phlogiston likes this.
  3. SonicBootsTiddler

SonicBootsTiddler New commenter

Thank you. I was thinking it would also be good to do some memory activities during the weekly sessions to support this.

4. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Surely doing things in different ways for reinforcement is just what we , as teachers, do all the time.
    If you don't feel able to help, don't take on the student.