1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to tutoring. Any advice??

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by melissa2k3, Feb 20, 2011.

1. I am an NQT currently working as a TA due to lack of jobs. I have been asked by a parent to tutor her three boys in Maths and English. The boys are in Year 2, Year 4 and Year 5. I've never done any private tuition before and don't really know where to start. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hi Melissa. It's a bit difficult to really advise, as you have been ever so slightly vague lol. Are you tutoring them all at the same time? and for how many hours a week?

3. Sorry, I would be tutoring them individually for half an hour each week. I have some resources prepared, although anything else anyone could recommend would be appreciated. The thing I am most unsure of is initial assessment and target setting.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

If you are an NQT, then you should have done a little bit on assessment on your course and when you were training. The assessment resources I would recommend are exactly the ones you should have used on your course - APP resources.
    Talk to the kids, probe their understanding and make full use of the APP so you can see what they should be doing. Ask them what their teacher thinks they need to improve on, get their levels etc.