1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to tutoring - advice including rates please

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by CabbageWhite20, Apr 10, 2020.

1. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

I was wondering if I could get some advice from experienced tutors. I have been asked to take on some online tutoring for overseas students who are currently unable to return to their schools in the UK. The request has come through a school although the tutoring would be a private arrangement.
    I am an experienced teacher and actually know some of the pupils already. I would appreciate some advice on the rates tutors tend to charge. It would be English tuition and the pupils would be age 9-13 if that helps at all.
    Many thanks.

2. suzette

suzette Occasional commenter

Hi, there are a lot of experienced tutors on here that have pretty much answered your question in other posts on here (especially if it's related to Corona and tutoring), so it might be worth reading a few of the posts on here. Generally, there isn't a fixed rate. I've worked mine out based on some of the following: How much it costs for resources, how much I need to earn to live on, whether I am tutoring with a tutoring site that charges commission, even whether you pay a lot for your broadband (for online tutoring) and mobile phone charges can come into play. Some people charge £20, some charge £30, some more. It has to depend on you and your personal/financial circumstances. If you Google tutoring sites and search as if you were a potential client looking for tutoring, you can see what some people charge and how they post/promote themselves. I hope this helps. :)

3. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

Agree with everything said above. I normally charge £30 an hour but I have had to dramatically reduce my rate due to the increase in supply and decrease in demand.
    It is worth bearing in mind that as of September NQTs should be earning 30k per year and the average teaching hours is 680 then that would be £44 per teaching hour. As a tutor you normally don't get paid for planning or prep just the hours you teach. So as tutors we should properly be charging between £40-50 per hour. However, I am now offering to teach for £11 an hour and still being under cut.
    (Warning very rough estimates with regards to number of teaching hours, just designed to show the ball park of what we are worth)

suzette and Happyregardless like this.
  4. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

Bad time to start tutoring. Loads of teachers at home now doing it. Loads of people have lost their jobs and income and around the corner are going to be massive TAX hikes to pay for the spending spree. Tutoring has suddenly become difficult. I have picked up quite a few new online students after losing all my face to face students when Gavin Williamson announced the exams were to be cancelled this year. How I've done it is drop my price low. If we are to be imprisoned at home by the state I would even consider offering tuition free, that way you can establish yourself then you hike your prices. That is what bitpaper has done. A conservative government has done what we assumed Corbyn would do and destroyed small businesses and the self employed and people seem to be applauding them for it. It's of course to no end because we are on course to have the highest death rate in Europe. When food shortages and those with early cancer symptoms who are too frightened to go to the doctors cause death rates to rise further perhaps there will be a realization that we are on the wrong course.. Sorry rant over.. this is what being single and confined to a flat for 3 weeks does to you..

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Digressing from the thread slightly, but so as not to get NQT's expectations up, the £30k starting salary isn't planned until September 2022. DfE proposal for this September, 2020, is about £26k.

6. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

Thanks all, this was very helpful. I’m still teaching full time (fingers crossed that continues to be the case) but I have accepted the request to tutor a couple of children online and I’ll see how it goes.
    Thanks again and I hope things pick up soon for all of us.

7. CloudsTES

CloudsTES New commenter

I feel your pain, and hope you're doing ok. It's such a strange, frustrating situation. I'm finding the whole change quite unsettling and disheartening. I keep getting drawn back to the internet in a futile attempt to search out any potential tutoring opportunities; it's tough work and I haven't picked up any new students since the exams were cancelled. I'd been banking on parents realising that there's a while to go until schools reopen, and that this would lead to some sort of demand. No sign as yet! I'm getting the feeling that a lot of parents/ students are somewhat ambivalent about online tutoring, and, as you say, probably lots of people throwing their hats into the ring in terms of offering themselves as tutors, at the moment...

8. bramblesarah

9. bramblesarah

Corrected to 26k, there would come out as £30 per hour.

10. shakes1616

shakes1616 Established commenter

You are right to rant because BJ and others in the government are millionaires (that's why at 55 he can get am cute 35 fiancee I suppose), and so he doesn't need to worry or care about getting by. I don't know how you can pay your bills if you've cut your rates though or offering free tuition.

11. Ian1983

Ian1983 Occasional commenter

Must say I'm a bit skeptical of this "let's work for peanuts to get established" approach!

Firstly, people often judge the value of a service by its price. If I'm looking for someone to do some work on my house, I'm not booking the guy who charges peanuts. You could argue about whether that's right or wrong but, ultimately, my thought process is "if he was good at his job, he'd be charging a reasonable rate".
    Ok, I'd book him if he'd been recommended to me by a few people but then, in that case, I'd have booked him at a fair rate anyway!

Secondly, although you might get some clients by charging peanuts, it might be a bit of a challenge getting back to your normal rate after all this is over. "By the way, I'm going to charge double what you're paying now from next month onwards"

Hope I don't sound too negative with that though! - for you guys who are taking this approach, how is it working out? Happy to hear any success stories.

gainly and suzette like this.
  12. suzette

I agree. I'm a full time tutor, so I couldn't afford to drop down to £10-15 per hour. I occasionally work as a cover tutor for prisons, but aside from that tutoring is my full time job. I guess if you have another income you can afford to. I'm baffled though! Printer cartridge costs around £40 for all four colours, so if I charged £10-£15,it wouldn't be worth it. I'm not printing much at the mo, but you get my point. I agree. I think it will be difficult to raise the rate post Covid-19.

13. gainly

gainly Star commenter

The students who I have managed to keep are all still paying the same rate as before the lockdown and cancellation of exams. I don't think it would be fair to take on new students at a lower rate.

14. shakes1616

shakes1616 Established commenter

whAT do you teach that allows much more than 10-15 an hour online then? ANd how do you get a full time load of students online?

15. suzette

I'm not sure you read my post correctly. I wrote £10 or £15 per hour. (With the '£' symbols emphasising money, not hours/or time). I was commenting on tutors that charge this amount and are still able to make a living.

Regarding what I was doing pre-coronavirus. I tutor adult learners/home schooled students in the day, primary school kids mid afternoon/early evening and adult learners/GCSE/uni students early-late eve, Mon-Fri. Also working as a Functional skills tutor in prisons, so yes, a full time tutor and have been one for around 6 years. (Not just a tutor online because of covid-19).