1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to teaching in FE... I'm petrified but excited!

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by SunnySide26, Feb 24, 2020.

1. SunnySide26

SunnySide26 New commenter

Hi,

I'm currently undertaking my L5 Diploma in Education and Training and due to finish it in 2021. I have just been offered a couple of days teaching Health and Social Care (across L1, 2 and 3) as long as I quit my current role (which I am fine with). I am currently in a role in which I deliver the PSHE curriculum to learners on different qualifications so therefore I do not have marking or assessments to undertake with the learners.

I'm due to start in 4 weeks. Do you have any tips for someones first time teaching a qualification in FE? I've asked for a mentor so I can ease myself in.

1. Any tips I should take into account as a new FE lecturer?
    2. Anything you discovered which would be helpful to do before I start the job?

2. tinalouisegriffiths

tinalouisegriffiths New commenter

As an FE lecturer my advice is try to find out what topics you will be covering as this will allow you to plan in advance (I over-plan so I am told). Always expect the unexpected in FE so a plan A, B, C, and D will give you the confidence and get you over the first few sessions.

You'll be fine I am sure just enjoy it and try not to take too much on to start with.

Let us know how you get on.
    :):)