1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to teaching GCSE IT

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Caymem, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

Hi guys

What units do u think are the easiest to teach at GCSE.

Can you let me know as been asked to plan all the GCSE units I want to teach before September, to save needing to plan during the year.

2. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

Dear caymem,
    Judging by the sheer number of posts I am guessing that you are in a bit of a pickle.

Most GCSE courses have a scheme of work provided by the exam board. The exam boards usually provide past papers and teaching materials on their website. Search for the specific course you re teaching.

Use the course specification as a framework for planning to deliver a course. The course specification will give you the basic content which you need to cover. Then look at past papers to see what students are expected to do.

Dorsetdreams likes this.
  3. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

I forgot to say I also need to pick the course that I run at the school I am working at September. which IT course should I go for, What course do you teach and how easy is it to teach.

4. gigaswitch1

gigaswitch1 Occasional commenter

There are no gcse it courses. All of the vocationals have a sow with them.

border_walker likes this.
  5. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

Which IT course do you teach currently. And why isn't there any for GCSE IT??

6. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

What do I teach instead of GCSE IT then if there isn't any courses.

7. gigaswitch1

Can I ask how you don't know this, this has been like this for 2 years ? BTEC DIT and Ocr Tec in IT are the two main ones. Have a look at the progress 8 list. If you don't need to woory about P8, then look at IGCSE. If you want a gcse you need to look at CS

8. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

And can I ask, politely, whether you are qualified to teach IT, CS or indeed anything?

9. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

Thanks for this. I will check if we need to do progression 8 if not then what are the best IGCSE IT courses out there please.

10. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

I can teach IT haven't taught CS before but have been asked to next year.

11. gigaswitch1

Do you teach in the UK?

12. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

Yes i do teach in the UK.

13. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

No they are not.

14. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

That's your opinion of me .

15. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Not an opinion. Would you like to state what teaching qualification you have?

16. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I don't think they give teaching qualifications to 14 year olds

17. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

I would be less direct than @T0nyGT but I think many of us have been wondering about you, @Caymem.
    Could you please satisfy our curiosity - you don't have to name yourself of course - what is your degree qualification? Do you have QTS and in what year did you gain it? And how many years have you been teaching, and how many schools was that?