1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to teaching full time English

Discussion in 'English' started by englishteach101, Nov 5, 2015.

1. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

Hi Guys and Girls,

I'm starting a new job in January as a full-time English teacher having only taught part of a timetable English before in conjunction with Drama and Music and I'm after some tips and advice from experienced English teachers.

What do you do to ensure you keep yourself organised without paperwork taking over your entire life? Top subject-specific tips for organisation, planning, marking and keeping your head above water would be great. I'm an experienced teacher, but inexperienced in full time English so I want to make sure I'm giving the best to my students and new school, but ensuring that I'm ok too.

Thanks in advance!

2. thethiefoftime

thethiefoftime Occasional commenter

@samharvey Ummm..... here are just some random tips off the top of my head:

To keep loose paper homework all in one place, get an expanding file and label each section with the name/code for each class.

To cut down on marking, make sure some of the homework you set is research, or finding a certain type of text and annotating it.

Another way to save marking, but make it more meaningful, is getting kids to highlight just two paragraphs.... one they are happy with and one they are least happy with... then just give feedback on those two.

Don't be ashamed to do a bit of peer-assessment or self-assessment, as long as you scaffold them appropriately with it. Ie. making it clear what you want them to look for/comment on.

Hope that helps for now, though feel free to PM me if there's anything else I can help with!

3. englishteach101

thank you for this @thethiefoftime, I know it sounds simple and I've taught for years, but I just want to start off really organised rather than chasing my tail as I've seen so many colleagues end up doing.

I love the idea of an expandable file for those scrappy bits of paper that end up floating round the desk, brilliant! The marking and feedback suggestions are also really helpful, thanks!

Samharvey

thethiefoftime likes this.
  4. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

Hi,
    Good luck in your new post!

I find a to-do list helps keep on top of all the demands made for data, deadlines for reports, marking piles etc. It also feels good to tick things off.

Get into a routine straight away with your books for marking, then keep to it (even if you don't feel like it), otherwise falling behind is really easy. Like @thethiefoftime suggested, peer marking, can be really useful. English marking piles really aren't cool but they're even worse if you leave them...!

Share resources and ask other colleagues for resources if they've taught the same topic - you can tweak for your class but it means you won't have to start from scratch.
    If you're allowed to choose the books/poems you teach - choose something that you find interesting, that'll feed the kids and their enthusiasm for it.

Ask for help if you're floundering - don't drown under pressure.

Feel free to send me a message, if you want ideas for topics/schemes etc.:)

5. englishteach101

I love lists and they are a big part of my organisational planning, I sometimes find that my lists are too long though, so I've recently tried splitting them up into a 'must, should,could' type of affair which helps me prioritise.

I think the routine idea is really good, I don't have my timetable yet so hopefully then I can start putting resources together etc. and begin to look at others who've already taught the topics etc. so I'll feel a bit better, I'm just conscious that January will be here before I know it and I don't want to go in feeling not ready to take on the challenge.

Thanks for the offer of schemes etc. @cate_h once I know what I'm teaching I will definitely be in touch!

Samharvey

6. Valgrease

Valgrease New commenter

Is there anyone here who teaches English as a Second Language?

7. englishteach101

I will be in the new year, to a spanish student, have been given the igcse spec but no other guidance so far....

8. aspiringteacher95

aspiringteacher95 New commenter

Out of interest, what Literature pieces are you intending to teach across the board?

9. englishteach101

when you say across the board, do you mean with the EAL student? If so, I don't know, I'm only just looking through the spec as I've not taught it before. Otherwise, I know what I'm using for the first part of next term, Treasure Island with Year 7 and The Boy in the Striped Pajamas with Year 8. War Poetry with year 9

10. hi_lea

hi_lea New commenter

Congratulations!
    Welcome to the full time English teachers league :)
    Personally, I prefer to create a short-time plan every morning, because of many circumstances that are likely to change during the week. I always carry my notebook (personal organizer) where I highlight the most important items and tasks.
    Smartphone is useful at least for time-management and internet access (I use different apps: online calendar, Evernote, Longman, Google Disc and etc.)
    Talking about tons of paperwork, you're absolutely right when trying to avoid it from the start :) Smart decision.
    My students know that I'm very strict and they have no chance to cheat or miss the deadline. I recommend you to use reliable tools to save your time and being ogranized (You'll probably need a
    [This comment/image/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    and
    [This comment/image/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    ). Wish you the best of luck!