1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to talk for writing in year one

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lucye, Oct 26, 2015.

1. lucye

lucye New commenter

Hi, our school are starting the talk for writing approach.. I'm excited to start but have some questions I hope teachers currently using the scheme could please answer.
    • Spending 6 weeks on the same narrative text - this seems a long time! So oral rehearsal, analysing features of text, magpieing, analysing features, boxing up, writing own version. Also teaching grammar spelling through text. I can't see this taking 6 weeks?
    • Support group - still on EYFS goals & can't write sentences. They can access the oral storytelling but couldn't magpie etc... ?
    • Linking poetry to the model text. I can see how to link non-fiction, poetry seems hard
    Advice would be great.

2. Lajadius

Lajadius New commenter

In Year 1 I spent 4 weeks on a unit. The first week was spent on sentence skills/grammar whilst orally retelling the story at the beginning of every input. I would then choose to something like using 'and' as an objective and have them practise that by writing sentences about pictures from the story, etc.

The second week was spent on the imitation stage, where they would sequence events of the story, create story maps and write the story.

The third week was the innovation, so we might change the main character, etc and then spend the week planning that and writing it.

The fourth week was the invention and sometimes we would do this after a few weeks on a different genre.

In Year One, they magpied ideas and vocabulary from the story. We would put magpied ideas on the working wall. I would concentrate on having them being expected to write 1 or 2 sentences rather than the whole story. Always have pictures for them to stick in and write the appropriate sentence next to it as this really does help! I personally preferred them drawing story maps rather than boxing up the story.

3. lucye

lucye New commenter

Thank you so much, Lajadius. Did you then move on to linking poetry or non- fiction to the main text? eg. Jack and the Beanstalk, then instructions for growing beans as the non-fiction?

4. Milliemoo13

Milliemoo13 New commenter

Hi
    I started using T4W in my year 1 class this time last year and I haven't looked back once!
    I'm sure you'll get fantastic results!
    My plans are for sale on here but if you want me to send you one set just let me have your email address and I will.
    I usually do 3 weeks on a narrative unit and build up to imitation and the innovation when ready. My children that aren't ready for it still work on phonics based activities but still do all the story telling to build their vocabulary.
    You'll love it and the children really respond well to it. Xx

lucye likes this.
  5. lucye

lucye New commenter

Thanks Millie Moo, I feel really inspired now.:) I'll look for your plans in resources. Have also bought two of The Talk for Writing books. That's exactly what I was planning for children on EYFS curriculum, phonics activities but to still do the oral story telling. xx

6. Lajadius

Lajadius New commenter

Our literacy is all part of a project/topic led so there's usually a theme running through the half term. I do a fiction unit and then a non-fiction unit. I am not much help with poetry but pie's got some great free resources on his t4w website!

lucye likes this.
  7. lucye

lucye New commenter

Thanks, I have just got his book of recommended poetry.

8. MannyDog

MannyDog New commenter

Done three years in KS1 doing this kind of Literacy -

• making (in a shared class process) a set of actions which tell the story - then can be practised in anay spare five minutes to reinforce the narraative
    • Using a range of storyboarding.mappijg formats
    • subsitution (I always used the words subsitute and innovate, of course explained)
    • Role play
    • associated topic and non-fiction - e.g. recipe writing for magic porridge pot
    • treasure hunts/mystery trails laid around teh school
    Anything you can think of - it's all about immersing (almost drowning!) them in the narrative, whilst building solid writing skills at the same time.

I love Pie Corbett an his approach as he does not say "do this - I AM RIGHT!" like many - he mostly chucks out good ideas which allow you to come up with your own, as well.

9. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Those of you who operate on a three or four week 'unit', how does that fit in with the half terms? eg if you have a 7 week half term-do you squeeze in eg a 3 week unit on narrative and 3 weeks on non-fiction, then do a week on assessment or do you do poetry for a week?

My school have implemented it with a week on poetry each half term but then the rest of the half term is one single unit beginning with a cold write and then the rest of the weeks (so, could be 6-7) working on the one unit building up to a 'hot write' at the end.

I think 6-7 weeks is way too long to spend on one thing-even I'm bored!!