1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to supply

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Former_supplyteacher, May 11, 2011.

1. Hi,
    The big ones are teaching personel and select i think. Doubt you will get any work this time of year though, too many supply teachers and not enough work. Worth a go though-you be be lucky.

2. Vision for Education seems a good one in Manchester, but the biggest seems to be Randstad. You can sign up with more than one.

3. As far as I know, you can contact schools direct. Don't know much about this though.

4. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

I think, but I'm not sure, that Select are now Randstad or Rotherwood. Heys is another one used.
    Good luck!

5. I would recommend signing up to more than one agency. I am currently registered with 5 different agencies in London and have had 1 day of work this week and 2 days last week. I'm using this time to complete permanent applications (and sometimes signing up with different agencies). Good luck!

6. Thanks for all the advice :)

Teaching Personnel and Vision for Education have asked for my CV... altho the guy at VfE said he'd doubt it'd be worth it due to the time it'd take for CRB check to come thru.
    Randstad said they're not recruiting at the moment for secondary and they'll be in touch for in July.

I'm really starting to panic now.. been jobless for around 2 weeks (and i know thats nothing compared to alot of the people on here) I'm finding it really difficult coping and filling my time.
    I'm going to get a list of all schools in the area and start sending out letters. I was thinking when contacting schools personally, I should include a covering letter, a CV and a copy of my CRB.. what do you think?
    Who would the letter normally be addressed to? I don't want it to go to the Headteacher and just be put under a pile of more important paperwork!

Thanks

7. I've just been reading around here, that it's not a good idea to send CV's to schools as noone will read them...

8. Although a lot of schools only use agencies there are some who prefer not to. I've had replies from 3 schools that i wrote to directly to say they will put me on their list (no work yet but I have only started wanting supply since start of this term). I think it is worth sending CV out to schools especially if you are NQT as you will be much cheaper than someone at top of pay scale or agency rates.

9. If you're secondary find out the name of the HOD for your specalism and send them your CV direct. It'll be worth a shot.

10. Ok thanks! I'm on it.. will call schools to find out the HOD name before I send out letters.

11. Wow, got to buy alot of stamps!

12. Hi again, have since joined an agency and sent out alot of cvs!

Does anyone know, is it possible to do supply work but not start your NQT induction period?