1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to supply (well haven't even started yet) what can i do?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by smithyels, Sep 14, 2011.

1. I have just finished my PGCE in Social Sciences and was not able to get a job to start this Septmeber :(.
    So i am waiting for a job that is right (they turn out to be part time and in a completely random place).
    At the moment i am registered with two supply agencies and am just waiting by the phone.
    Any tips for a first time supply teacher?
    I would also like to know what other supply teachers do when they aren't working? as i am slowly loosing the will to live at home with my parents :s and am looking for ideas.

Thanks

2. I have just finished my PGCE in Social Sciences and was not able to get a job to start this Septmeber :(.
    So i am waiting for a job that is right (they turn out to be part time and in a completely random place).
    At the moment i am registered with two supply agencies and am just waiting by the phone.
    Any tips for a first time supply teacher?
    I would also like to know what other supply teachers do when they aren't working? as i am slowly loosing the will to live at home with my parents :s and am looking for ideas.

Thanks

3. I'm also brand new to supply teaching. I've been lucky to get a few days over the past few weeks. Obviously I can't give you much tips as I still need some myself but I'm registered with 5 agencies to ensure that I get as much work as possible. I don't expect to work with all of them but over the coming weeks/months I'll get most of my work from 2 or 3 of those and weed out the useless ones. I still haven't figured out a daily routine for when I don't get work- I've wasted today lounging around :-/

4. I am doing housework, walking round the lake, sorting out endless boxes of "stuff" and reading. I've also started doing more baking but that will have to stop or I'll be spending all my energy on dieting. But I do waste an awful lot of time.

5. I also feel like a bit of a fool eating my packed lunch in my kitchen...