1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to supply teaching

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by dan79, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Hello all,
    I have recently gained QTS in secondary mathematics, but have been unsuccessful in finding an NQT job. As such I am in the process of registering with a supply teacher agency in my home town of Swansea. From some of the comments on this forum it appears that supply work is few and far between at the moment. Is there anything I can do to increase my chances of finding work? Is it worth getting in touch directly with the LEA and trying to get work directly with schools rather than relying on agencies? Also is it better to register with more than one agency, or just try one to begin with and see how it goes?
    Any advice or comments gratefully accepted.
    Dan

2. Hello all,
    I have recently gained QTS in secondary mathematics, but have been unsuccessful in finding an NQT job. As such I am in the process of registering with a supply teacher agency in my home town of Swansea. From some of the comments on this forum it appears that supply work is few and far between at the moment. Is there anything I can do to increase my chances of finding work? Is it worth getting in touch directly with the LEA and trying to get work directly with schools rather than relying on agencies? Also is it better to register with more than one agency, or just try one to begin with and see how it goes?
    Any advice or comments gratefully accepted.
    Dan

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Maths should be a little better for work but from what I understand SW is not good (by the way perhaps not be so specific about area, one of the great points about this forum is anonymity).
    If the LA has a list & you can get work directly, it has better financially as you're paid to scale but I've found needs time to build up relationships so they phone you.
    Best of luck!

4. There seems to be no need of maths teachers in London, let alone anywhere else

5. les25paul

les25paul Lead commenter

Have you got CRB clearance? (less then one year old for portability) If not I would initially only register with one agency and so only pay one fee (once upon a time the agencies paid but unlikely to now). Once you have this then register with others but only if they accept your new CRB, dont pay for another.
    With a CRB you can also approach local academies, many have their own pool of supply staff and bypass agencies. Also pay more.
    My most recent CRB came through this week, it took about eight weeks so get registered as soon as poss.