1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to supply - should I work in Bristol or Kent?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by skyujones, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Hi all, I'm an NQT who has just resigned from their first post (after only the autumn term [​IMG])
    and I'm looking to do some supply work whilst jobhunting, I have the option of living in Bristol or living in Rochester, Kent, (family in Bristol, partner in Rochester)
    Does anybody know what the situation for supply work is like in either of those areas?
    oh and i'm secondary science trained.
    Thank you for reading my query.

2. Hi all, I'm an NQT who has just resigned from their first post (after only the autumn term [​IMG])
    and I'm looking to do some supply work whilst jobhunting, I have the option of living in Bristol or living in Rochester, Kent, (family in Bristol, partner in Rochester)
    Does anybody know what the situation for supply work is like in either of those areas?
    oh and i'm secondary science trained.
    Thank you for reading my query.

3. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Not a lot of work in the South West of England at the moment.

4. Typhoon

Typhoon New commenter

skvo, whereabouts are you in Kent (just rough area is fine!)? I'm right down on the SE coast, admittedly in quite a rural area. When I first moved down there was enough work to get me the 2.5-3 days per week I desired, for the past couple of years there has been nothing! All supply work in my area has completely dried up... I am also commuting into London for supply work (SE in my case) which is about a 130 mile round trip and something I'm only really prepared to do once or twice a week at most (not that there is vast amounts of supply in London either, I'm finding!)

OP, I've no idea of the situation in Rochester but I do think the supply situation is pretty much the same country-wide and in that respect I'm sorry to say there probably isn't much to choose between Bristol or Kent, the supply situation everywhere seems pretty dire!

5. skvo

skvo New commenter

Typhoon, I am half an hour drive from Rochester actually - North West Kent. I am also commuting to SE London and my two mornings a week gone up to four full days this term, but I love the place I work despite hours of travelling. I turned down other supply work and even a permanent local job the agency asked me about. I do think it is probably easier to get supply here - or may be I just was lucky.

Hope you get what you are looking for this term!

6. I got 29 days primary supply in Bristol between January and July 2009, and I would be surprised to hear the situation's improved... (I moved away from the area.)

7. Hi,
    I would say definitely Kent. SW has been rubbish so far!

8. thank you all for your valuable advice,
    I moved to rochester kent in the end and found getting supply work relatively easy.
    I've now got a 9 month maternity cover at a school in tunbridge wells, its a two-hour daily commute but thats not the end of the world :)

thanks again

9. Wrighty1000

Wrighty1000 New commenter

Kent is fine (for now)

10. Wrighty1000

Sorry, just realised it's an oldish thread...

11. Wrighty1000

I've been to Chatham, Gravesend, Northfleet, Bromley, Orpington, Swanley, Dartford, Bexley, Greenwich (I'm sure I've forgotten some places) All at the same rate for day to day. Work every day except training days, £124 if a one off, £125 if regular - yeah, I don't get that either. No planning, AWR after 12 weeks then different amounts depending on area cos of differing London Weighting. All the same smallish agency. Done this for nearly 4 years and the pay hasn't changed.

12. zcsaa44

zcsaa44 New commenter

Is that primary or secondary supply work? I would love to be a supply teacher again but I am worried about not getting any work

13. Wrighty1000

zcsaa44 - if it is me that you are asking then it is primary. I'm an ex secondary school teacher but I've never done secondary supply.