1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to supply need guidance

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by azzie, Jun 25, 2015.

1. azzie

azzie New commenter

After years of bullying I am leaving my permanent post and signing up for supply very scary to no longer have regular money coming in.

Any suggestions on how to cope with supply. I am primary withSEND experience (24yrs of it). I'm reading about AWR and no clue what it's about!

Any advice?

2. tcoll123

tcoll123 New commenter

3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Before signing up with agencies consider contacting schools that you would like to work for directly. If you don't get any response then sign up with a couple off agencies. If you search this site, there is a lot of information about working as a supply teacher. Depending on where you are in the country you should get plenty of work.

4. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

You need to know that the first pay offer that many agencies make you is negotiable. September can often get off to a slow start but once the season starts and you get rebooked, you can ask for a better daily rate, especially if one school wants you back repeatedly.

There are issues with some schools not showing respect to supply teachers, so you have to win it. You just have to be able to improvise and think on your feet. Kids are the same everywhere but schools and their systems have endless permutations.

Only the strong survive but once you've established yourself, you are a major cash cow for your agency so they will pay you to stay on their books. A really good supply teacher who can go anywhere and do anything is a scarce and sought after commodity.

5. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

A piece of good advice given to me was to go with an agency that got you out to work as soon as you have registered with them. Agencies sign up new teachers all the time and if they don't immediately use you, you tend to get forgotten. In some areas, like London, the supply market, especially the secondary one, has far more supply teachers than there is work for them to do, so the difficulty is breaking into it and getting yourself known.

6. hockeysticks

hockeysticks New commenter

The advice I was given was to phone up agencies and ask if they have any work for you on a regular basis - daily if necessary that way you won't get forgotten

7. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

The problem with this approach is that agencies tend to be gushing in their assurance that they will find you 'lots of work', whether they can or they can't, just to get you to sign up. Every agency I have joined has regaled me with stories of how busy I will be, working for them, and how they 'cannot understand why other agencies have not found me any work', blah, blah, blah. The result is always the same, though.

8. Are you looking for advice re: agencies or actually teaching on supply? Advice above is great, everyone else has covered it. However I thought you might mean about tips for actually being in the classroom on supply...

9. azzie

azzie New commenter

I think I can cope with supply teaching with a bit of forethought and preperations I was relly wondering about agencies - thanks for the advice.

10. charlottesinnott

charlottesinnott New commenter

Hi michrob1, I would like some advice on being in the classroom on supply! I've been working in a school since September and my classes have been great, some challenging but I've learned a lot about behaviour management. I've a bit concerned about going on supply, as I got to know a few supply teachers in one of my placement schools and the kids there just absolutely crucified them. They had a real malice towards supply. Just wondering whether this is common place and what advice can you give about being in the classroom?