1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to supply? Learn from our experience

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by nearmiss, Jan 10, 2016.

1. GrayFox23

GrayFox23 New commenter

Will setting up as self-employed help me to get around the cut in expenses coming on April 6th? (Assuming I'm still getting work from an agency).

2. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

This is an info. post. Can you start a new thread with this question please?
    NM

3. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

wicked4u2 likes this.
  4. tcoll123

tcoll123 New commenter

Hi folks, I have started a collaborative document entitled 'Working With Teaching Agencies', using some material I started writing a while ago. It is useful to have all the information in one place, under headings. The information on these threads, while very useful, tends to be all mixed up and not easily searchable by those needing help- especially those new to supply teaching.

It is completely open and editable by everyone, and therefore overseen, fact-checked and verified by everyone who participates as well. It is available here: https://annuel.framapad.org/p/WfsMhcQO3m

wicked4u2 and agathamorse like this.
  5. anon8701

anon8701 Star commenter

• Temp to perm. rules
    You do NOT have to pay or worry about the finders fee if a school/college wants to keep you. It's the school/college which pays it BUT there is a way around it (no fee needs to be paid if there are a certain number of weeks between when you worked at the school/college via the agency and when your permanent contract starts), which is why you don't need to worry!

6. languageswithmona

languageswithmona New commenter

Hello, I am a EU teacher and I have recently relocated to Bristol. I have worked as a MFL teacher in two European countries and now I have registered with a supply agency as I am trying to find work. I was offered 100£ which is very little, given the fact that I have 13 years of experience, but I need to accumulate some kind of experience in UK schools. I have a lot of questions and I don't know any teachers in real life. For example, I would like to know how a typical supply day looks like in a primary and in a secondary school. Will I be expected to do work outside the actual teaching? Will I be able to take a lunch break or to go to the toilet? Will I have to mark in my free time?

7. agathamorse

agathamorse New commenter

Hi, I've been a language teacher for 20 years and £110 is what I earn per day in a long-term maternity cover and on day to day. Generally you need to be in school by whatever time the school handbook says - for day to day in secondary it's usually 8.30am, primary 8am. You get a lunch break and break times but you might have to do break or lunch duty when the normal teacher did it. Primary is normally phonics, literacy, maths in the morning, then topic or PE in the afternoon. Secondary - it all depends, normally three lessons in the am and two in the pm. Yes you will need to mark all the work done that day in primary that can be up to 90 books! In secondary mark as you walk around the room if you can. If you get a long-term then you will also need to plan lessons. Day to day you won't get any free periods, long-term it depends on the school but you should get some. Some academies can tend to take advantage of supply teachers and use them to cover all lessons - even on a long-term contract.

8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi agathamorse

If you are on a long-term supply maternity cover, shouldn't you be getting more than your daily rate of £110? If you are planning and marking the work, shouldn't you get a higher daily rate?

To languageswithmona

The behaviour in some secondary schools can be difficult. If you can, buy or borrow a copy of Taking Care of Behaviour by Paul Dix and read the chapter for Cover Supervisors/Supply Teachers. The rest of the book is useful, but that particular chapter will help you get started.

As agathamorse says, in primary you will be expected to mark the literacy and numeracy books at the end of the day even on day to day assignments. In secondary, you will not need to mark or plan unless you are doing a long term cover. If I were you, I would stick to day to day until you get to know whether or not you like any particular school. You might find ones you go to that you don't want to work in on a long term basis.

The key to getting repeat business is to be able to do an outstanding job and to do an outstanding job, you have to manage the classes to a reasonable level. Once you start to get repeat bookings, then you can ask the agency for more money.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. languageswithmona

So in primary I will be assigned to one class the whole day? I keep thinking from the perspective of a language teacher who deals with several groups in one day.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. languageswithmona

And what is "topic"? I have never worked in a primary school.

11. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Although your question is relevant, it would be better to start a new thread as this is a pinned, information post. You will get more repsonses if you also post on the primary forum.

pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. languageswithmona

I will, thanks!

pepper5 likes this.
  13. TrewB

TrewB New commenter

Supply teaching is fiendishly competitive.

Most importantly, you need to have rock solid behavior management skills, otherwise you are going to be unemployable. If this was the area that made you decide to give up full time teaching then forget it. You are not going to get any work if your ability to control classes is not outstanding, That is a guarantee

You also need rock solid subject knowledge is the classes you are covering, and to be able to competently and calmly deliver the lesson without going into emotional meltdown. It is essential that you circulate the room and offer help as well.

You need outstanding communication skills to get repeat bookings. If you are nervous around the cover organizers and with other staff again, you will not get asked back.

Please note. In so many ways supply teaching is harder than full time and the expectations of you are phenomenal. This is worth considering when deciding to resign from full time to do supply.

pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Quite so. Those of us who are now too old and expensive to be employed permanently, but too young to receive a pension tend to make up the Supply workforce. Experience counts. You do really need a solid core of confidence or if the kids don't break you, the agencies will.
    Supply never was teaching lite, but agencies market the role as a flexible, rewarding and lucrative alternative to permanent teaching. That is debatable.
    It takes a certain sort of person to make it work.

pepper5, Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.
  15. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

I disagree. The research carried out by teaching unions shows very clearly that schools rarely hire teachers who were introduced to them by an agency because of the prohibitive cost of the fee which agencies are entitled to levy under Conduct. Of Employment Agency legislation.
    During your assignment this fee is payable and continues to be payable for at least 14 weeks after the end of the assignment, even if you apply independently and not via the agency. It will be written into the contract between the school and the agency.
    The fee will be a one off payment of about 10 - 20% of the teacher's first annual salary.
    Please read the pinned post on Union advice and Google your rights as an agency worker for more detailed information.

pepper5, agathamorse and les25paul like this.
  16. agathamorse

agathamorse New commenter

HI Pepper5, sorry only just re-visited this thread. I'm on AWR as from tomorrow having completed 12 weeks in post. I know it sucks that I couldn't get per scale rate from the get-go, but at least this agency is paying AWR! And on the plus side - this is a really good school too! Lots of PPA and frees, no requests for planning to be on the server or anywhere, it has a calm and caring atmosphere, which is such a pleasant change after some of the academies I've been in recently.

pepper5 and Mrs_Hamilton like this.
  17. Popple83

Popple83 New commenter

I've recently joined an agency. I am unqualified (I have a PTLLS certificate at level 4) and have 9 months experience of working as a HLTA.

The agency I have joined has offered me work as cover supervisor and one to one support, but the rate is quite low. It is £50 a day or £25 per half day. I have found that the hours vary according to school and how many classes need covering (was lucky to have a free lesson one day). The schools are also half an hour drive from where I live in good traffic. Is this the norm? Should I try a different agency?

My friend said she worked at that agency 10 years ago for the same job at the same fee. It is just over £43 a day plus holiday pay equating to £50. Again, how commonplace is this? It seems that it is scraping minimum wage, which is sad as I'm sure this means most people only do this job very temporarily.

I've been lucky to have bee to nice schools, thought twice it has happened when I assumed I was needed until 3.30pm and found support staff were expected to stay until 4pm.

Any advice?

Thanks

18. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Sorry. This is not a discussion thread. You will get more responses if you start a new thread in the forum.
    This is an information only thread.
    @TES_Rosaline please can you remove some conversation from the thread as TheoGriff had done. Thanks

pepper5 likes this.
  19. leon4

leon4 New commenter

20. guidefromtheside

guidefromtheside New commenter

I have worked for the same LEA but not for the same school since September-can I ask for the 12 week pay rise?