1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to supply - how can I prepare?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by helenemdee, Jan 23, 2011.

1. helenemdee

helenemdee New commenter

Hi,
    I'm an NQT starting on supply (primary) this week. I'm looking forward to getting into it and working in different schools and building up my confidence following a horrendous time in my last job. I'm really keen to make a good impression,and obviously want schools to want me back. I don't know where or what year group I'll be working with yet, but I have been promised there's a lot of work available - is thereanything I can be doing initially to prepare without knowing where I'm going to be or who with? Can anyone recommend any useful websites for lesson planning for supply teachers (should I need to?) Is planning usually done for you and resources prepared - or is it down to you to sort out? And most importantly - to me anyway - what do I need to take in with me to ensure I am as organised as possible? I feel like I'm going to mess up on the first day!
    Just one more thing also - it's only a small thing, but it's bothering me a bit. I have a part-time job too (2 evenings a week, supple not being guaranteed and we all need to pay the bills). Are the schools likely to be understanding of this in terms of staying after school to do marking and such like? Obviously I'll try to get as much done as possible in terms of marking and handover sheets but I don't want them to think badly of me because I had to leave for work and couldn't get a few books marked.
    Thanks for any help!

Helen x

2. helen in all honesty grow a skin like a rhino would be my suggestion. Don't expect anything from anybody,like a smile, a welcome,some honesty.....that way if you do strike lucky it's a bonus.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Although your agency has assured you of plenty of work, as many posters here will attest that's not the reality for most of us.
    Acquiring the skin of a rhino, yes. Learning to think quickly on your feet & be adaptable are good skills.Facing the reality of having your life 'permanently on hold' every morning as you await that 'all important call' & then coping when it fails to materailise are good too!
    Sorry if this sounds slightly negative, just forewarning you. On the other hand, when you do get that call, rush into an unknown school, with unkown children & manage to achieve genuine learning, well there's nothing like that buzz!
    Check out the resources on this site, be adaptable, face the fact that some days will not go so well & enjoy those that do!
    Best wishes!

4. baileysonice

baileysonice New commenter

Don't be surprised if you feel invisible in the staff room of larger schools. Last week I sat there debating whether I should do something outrageous just to check I was actually there! I don't think people are being unfriendly on purpose - they just have plenty of familiar faces to talk to already.

5. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

They guys above have prepared you well on the emotional side of things so I'll help you out practically...

Things you may need in your bag

1)An idea/supply pack with basic lesson ideas and phonics guide along with photocopyable sheets (the resources section has good ones)
    2)Stickers and whistle for possible PE
    3)pack some spare drywipe pens in your pencilcase (They often are missing when i turn up for a class)
    4)Tea/mug/flask as some schools can hdie the tea/charge you/not let you near it
    5)Lots of spare timesheets.

Also, always leave a note at the end of the day/half day for the teacher, they like that :)

6. Lara mfl 05

Spare 'kit' suitable for oudoor games is another practical need to keep in your car- it's always the day you've taken it out to wassh you need it!
    There's also a really useful thread My supply kit want to add or change? started by sm1971
    http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/342991/4928738.aspx#4928738 which contains lots of useful advice.

7. Lara mfl 05

After my last post,just to pre-empt anyone- You don't need everything they suggest. Pick & choose what you think realistically you'll need to start & add to it over time.

8. helenemdee

helenemdee New commenter

Hey
    Thank you all for your replies, I really appreciate them. I had 3.5 days out of 4 last week (had other commitments on Monday anyway), so that's not bad for a first week, I'm hoping that will continue. I was late for my other job on the day I had to go, because I was trying to mark books - but I have spoken to the agency about the other job and they say they will try to be flexible and place me nearer to where I work on those days if possible. I'm loving the fact that I can go to school and work the day and not have to worry about planning, marking etc at night and weekends! It is a strange feeling when you don't know what you are going to be doing the next day though. I haven't got work lined up for this week yet and am nervous that they're going to ring me in the morning - would definitely prefer to know what I'm doing in advance! I'm enjoying it apart from that!
    Thanks again
    Helen x