1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to subject leadership: Science

Discussion in 'Primary' started by emday20, May 30, 2016.

1. emday20

emday20 New commenter

HELP!
    I am returning to school soon after maternity leave and am going to start leading Science in the school. Previous to this, I have been leading MFL which is what I am trained in so was very confident and found this a relatively 'easy' (for want of a better word) subject to lead due to the way it is taught in school. Now I am going to also be taking on Science which has previously been led by the Maths lead and so has admittedly been put on the back-burner (shhh). I really want to do a huge overhaul of how Science is taught at our school.
    Any ideas where to begin? Top tips? Literature to read? It would all be greatly appreciated!

2. SportyK

SportyK Occasional commenter

https://pstt.org.uk/resources

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

As you've already been a 'subject leader' you know how it works which should be a help.
    The curriculum is your starting point. With the greater freedom where to teach what you may need to assess what is already done. So you'll know what resources / planning is already in place.
    Tip Never throw the baby out with the bathwater. Start by assessing the temperature of the water, whether it's the correct depth etc.
    Then you can start planning your overhaul and which new resources you need.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Go slowly on this one, the rest of the staff may well be happy with how science is taught.

If you want to buy in a scheme, go for the cheapest possible and then spend the rest of any budget on practical resources.

Are you returning before the end of this academic year? If so, ask the head if you can have some staff meeting time to ask staff for their input on how science is taught and to see how they feel about your suggestions. Then you can make changes for September before people get started.

opalfeet and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. opalfeet

opalfeet Occasional commenter

Is there a need to change the way it is taught? Is there something wrong? If you have been on maternity, you will need to spend some time in the dept looking before you JUMP right in.

Of course you are enthusiastic, but if it isn't broke, don't fix it!

I think you will have a lot of resistance if you just go straight in with the intention of changing things, especially if nothing is wrong.

Of course, if something is wrong then that changes things, but it is better to make people think they have some control or power over those changes, even better if you can make the science teachers think it was their idea.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    Lara mfl 05 likes this.