1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to subject leadership: Science

Discussion in 'Primary' started by emday20, May 30, 2016.

1. emday20

emday20 New commenter

HELP!
    I am returning to school soon after maternity leave and am going to start leading Science in the school. Previous to this, I have been leading MFL which is what I am trained in so was very confident and found this a relatively 'easy' (for want of a better word) subject to lead due to the way it is taught in school. Now I am going to also be taking on Science which has previously been led by the Maths lead and so has admittedly been put on the back-burner (shhh). I really want to do a huge overhaul of how Science is taught at our school.
    Any ideas where to begin? Top tips? LIterature to read? It would all be greatly appreciated!

2. vannie

vannie Star commenter

NCETM do fantastic courses on assessment, teaching and learning for the new curriculum. They also run specific courses for Science co-ordinators. Look up your local National Stem Centre.

3. Lisa1969

Lisa1969 New commenter

I would suggest taking a look at the Primary Science Quality Mark. It is expensive but you get lots of support and training and it will enable you to identify key areas for improvement, create an action plan and monitor the impact your changes have made. I did one during my first year as Science Subject Leader and the skills you learn can be used to lead any future subject. Really helps to raise the profile of science in your school too!