1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to SMT

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by hyssop_puppy, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Allow staff working in your Key Stage team a voice, let them tell you how they feel, what they think about things you are all having to do.
    That doesn't necessarily mean acting upon things they've said. You still need to do what you feel is best in any given situation, but sometimes someone else may have the better solution.

2. I think the most difficult aspect of any management role is dealing with people - so I feel you need to get to know the people you will be working with. I have found that it is very easy to upset someone unintentionally, and I have apologised when this has happened. Their perception of what was said is the truth! If you can establish a reputation for being fair that will go a long way.

3. Thanks very much for your advice. I`m lucky in that I`ve worked with the team for 4 years already and they are (mostly) all willing to listen to each other and try out ideas!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Congratulations on your promotion, I hope that you have a happy year, as well as a successful one!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October seminars - see you there!

5. Thanks very much :)