1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to SLT and likely to go into Special Measures...help!

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by impulce, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Our school, without giving too much away, has been through an awful lot this past year. We have been without a headteacher, issues with this are still ongoing, two of our SLT members that jobshared have left (being the reason that I am now a member of the SLT team and KS1 Coordinator), and now our SATs results have been withheld and there are issues with staff connected to this.
    We are overdue OFSTED and with all that has happened we are expecting them ASAP in September. We are pretty sure we will be put into special measures before they even consider observing etc, purely based on the years events.
    I am panicking. I am eager to further my career and happy to have been promoted, but I am only going into my 4th year of teaching and have never been through an inspection (Nor worked under a good headteacher!!). I want to do everything I possibly can to help the school through this, but have no idea what to expect.
    As KS1 Coord/SLT, does anybody have any advice at all on what I can be doing over the holidays to prepare? I have access to data so I will be analysing this.
    I am basically just bricking it, and am finding it very very hard to enjoy my summer knowing what I am walking back in to in September.
    I cant give anymore information than this i'm afraid, but it is not a good situation - a shame because the majority of the staff are hardworking and passionate about the school.

2. Our school, without giving too much away, has been through an awful lot this past year. We have been without a headteacher, issues with this are still ongoing, two of our SLT members that jobshared have left (being the reason that I am now a member of the SLT team and KS1 Coordinator), and now our SATs results have been withheld and there are issues with staff connected to this.
    We are overdue OFSTED and with all that has happened we are expecting them ASAP in September. We are pretty sure we will be put into special measures before they even consider observing etc, purely based on the years events.
    I am panicking. I am eager to further my career and happy to have been promoted, but I am only going into my 4th year of teaching and have never been through an inspection (Nor worked under a good headteacher!!). I want to do everything I possibly can to help the school through this, but have no idea what to expect.
    As KS1 Coord/SLT, does anybody have any advice at all on what I can be doing over the holidays to prepare? I have access to data so I will be analysing this.
    I am basically just bricking it, and am finding it very very hard to enjoy my summer knowing what I am walking back in to in September.
    I cant give anymore information than this i'm afraid, but it is not a good situation - a shame because the majority of the staff are hardworking and passionate about the school.

3. Been inspected through SM (and out the other side!) as well as normal inspections afterwards as Lit Co in previous school. Now DH and expecting them fairly soon in new school.
    Happy to chat via PM or email if you want to talk about things that you don't want to put on the forums...
    Biggest key to making progress seemed to be knowing where the problems were and having a strategy for tackling them...
    Best wishes,
    C x

4. Katille

Katille New commenter

I would agree, it is not possible to 'quick fix' things. If you are aware of the problems and have thought about how you are going to improve then I think that will stand you in good stead. Given the time frame you cannot do everything in a short space of time-make a plan, prioritise and go from there...
    Wishing you all the best.

5. Weezy18

Weezy18 New commenter

Make sure you know the prorities for the whole school too . Having an understanding of what needs doing in KS1 and how you plan to tackle it/what order is also important. I used to do an action plan linked to the school development plan.
    Good luck.

6. If this is your first post you unknowingly got a job in a school which had issues. You have done all you can to support the school with what sounds like great success and acknowledged credit. Stick it out and you'll learn a great deal and have an impressive CV! Don't blame yourself and look forward not back.

7. Thankyou for the replies. I have been busy sorting out my classroom/planning but will sit down this week with the previous KS1 Coords files and raiseonline data, and plough through it all to see what conclusions I can come to.
    In answer to the poster above - it is my first teaching post but I have been there 3 years. When I first started it was a 'good' school with a good head, but the year I started that head left and we were without a head for a while while we appointed a new head. The new head we appointed was then the start of all our problems that are still ongoing.
    From a teaching and learning basis I think we would still be graded 'good' - Little has changed, we are all still putting 110% in for our children, and we have passionate and proactive teachers and teaching assistands. But from a leadership point of view we will be very poor as we have had none and have been "ticking over".

8. What's your data like? This is the strongest indication to the grade you'll get and will have a big impact on your grade for T&L. You may all be putting in 110% but if the children aren't making enough progress then you won't be graded good by OFSTED.
    Leadership and management is a limiting judgement but I think if your children are making good progress your school may still be OK and avoid SM. As you're new to your role, I seriously doubt you will be the difference between your school going into SM or not. I think you can only do your best - good luck with it all too.

9. I think half my panic is that I dont really know if the data is 'good' because I dont know what to compare it to. Obviously I have given my own assessment data in before, and have some idea how many of them made good progress etc, but that is just within my own class so I dont know what is classed as good progress in terms of percentages for the whole year group (Eg 80% at 2b? 75% at 2b?).
    I think we did fairly well as I sat with the previous KS1 Coord to work out this years data and she seemed pleased as we had exceeded our targets.
    She also said that our expected percentages at end of KS1 for our current Y1s (coming years Y2s) may need to be lowered as she didn't think we'd make them - but surely it is not as simple as me saying "I dont think we'll get 80%, lets go for 75%"...or is it?
    I have just sort've been thrown into the role, and whilst I did have some time with the previous postholder, we spent it turning our end of year data into percentages and that was about it. I feel like there's so much I'm not aware of.
    Normally I wouldn't panic as I'd feel like I had time to settle in and get used to the role, but I am panicking about Ofsted. I almost need somebody to take me through it like a child - what they will ask, what they will expect me to know and in how much detail, if i should have anything prepared etc.
    I've not had a 'holiday' this year. Spent alot of time with others sorting our building out because it was such a dump, alot of time sorting my own classroom out, time planning and sorting out how I'm going to organise my classroom, written my part of the SIP, contributed to the SEF, looking over data. Still dont feel prepared.
    I dont mean to whine - I wanted the role and am very grateful for it, and will work hard. I just wish I knew exactly what to do in order to be able to put the hard work in and be prepared.