1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to secondary Maths from Primary- please help!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by disneyfan, Jul 11, 2019.

1. disneyfan

disneyfan New commenter

Good evening,

I’m hoping some experienced secondary Maths teachers will be willing to offer some advice to help me try and do a decent job!

I’m Primary trained and am transferring to Secondary as a Learning Support teacher to take small groups for English and Maths interventions. However, due to staffing needs I’ve now been timetabled to take the lowest sets in year 8 and 9 for Maths.

I’ve asked for schemes of work and am waiting for these at the moment. I’ll be sharing the classes with teachers in the Maths department but am a little nervous as don’t want to mess things up...

Can anyone offer any tips on sharing a class and where I can access curriculum requirements/teaching strategies/ likely misconceptions likely to occur in KS3? I don’t want to be ‘needy’ or time consuming to new colleagues and want to make sure I’m doing the best I can, despite being Primary English for the last 13 years!
    Should I be going to HOD for tips or to the teachers I’m sharing classes with? Secondary set up very different from Primary and not sure how to go about things.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Often, when maths classes are split between two teachers, it works best to split the topics. Hopefully that will enable you to take the things you're more confident teaching (number, probably), and leave less familiar topics to the other teacher. You'll need to talk to the teachers you're sharing with to organise the split, so they're probably your best point of contact. If there are two halves of the year and therefore a parallel set in the other half, also make friends with their teacher, as they may well be willing to share their plans/resources for the topics you are teaching.
    If it's the sort of school where teams spend breaks in their departments, you might do well to go and hang out with the maths department at least some days of the week, so that you get to know each other.

3. disneyfan

disneyfan New commenter

Thank you. Great advice re asking to split the topics and seeing if I can take the ones I feel more confident about. I’ll also try and do Maths marking I get in the team room to help get to know people and be able to ask for help.

4. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

5. disneyfan

disneyfan New commenter

Thank you- I’ll look into that.