1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by aandyr123, Sep 3, 2011.

1. aandyr123

aandyr123 New commenter

Hello everyone,
    After teaching Year 2 for four years I was asked to teach/"wanted a go" in reception. Since then I have been on courses, done lots of reading and asked lots of questions and I feel that i have just about got my head around things.

My question is...What should I expect in my first 2 weeks?

I have half the class in trhe kmorning and the other halfd in the afternoon for the first 2 weeks.

What should I be doing in these 2 weeks? What will the children be doing?

Please help me prepare for the big shock that I know that i will be in for.

Andy

2. aandyr123

aandyr123 New commenter

Hello everyone,
    After teaching Year 2 for four years I was asked to teach/"wanted a go" in reception. Since then I have been on courses, done lots of reading and asked lots of questions and I feel that i have just about got my head around things.

My question is...What should I expect in my first 2 weeks?

I have half the class in trhe kmorning and the other halfd in the afternoon for the first 2 weeks.

What should I be doing in these 2 weeks? What will the children be doing?

Please help me prepare for the big shock that I know that i will be in for.

Andy

3. Andy, hello fellow newbie
    There is a big thread further down that has been started, why don't you join that? Lots of us have begun to swap email and planning
    Louise

4. aandyr123

aandyr123 New commenter

Thanks.....I noticed it after I started this thread.

5. smileyallthetime

smileyallthetime New commenter

Hello and welcome to Early Years,

You will have the best time. 16 years in and i still love it, my hair is slightly more grey, my nerves a little frayed but i still possess all my own teeth and i can still hold a reasonable conversation with myself! Number one objective, stay alive and get to bed early!

But really, invest this time getting to know your children. Children of four are very intuitive about who they can trust and rely on. I always see my role as showing them in these first few weeks that they can trust me, that i respect them, that i expect them to respect the class, themselves and the school. talk to them, learn lots about them. Not just how they hold their pencil, or whether they can orally blend, but what are they like. What makes them anxious, happy etc.

This is a crucial time to make their first experience of school a positive one. Take time to explain everything, remember they no nothing of school they don.t know why they have a book bag, what this thing called PE is, how long it will be till lunch etc. Put things in context for them. Learn to love them, even when they climb on you, sneeze on you, tread on your toe. Because one day , one of them or more will walk up to you, look you straight in the eye and tell you they love you. then will happily, confidently carry on with their learning.

Welcome to a new world. Enjoy every minute of it and when it gets tough have a good laugh.

Best of luck

Sarah

6. aandyr123

aandyr123 New commenter

Thank you very much for that - i'm excited and scared at the same time!